Energy & Waste
- Biogas plant: Advising the owner of the facility on the design, building, finance, maintenance and operation of a 1.5MWe food waste, energy crop and animal waste AD project and the necessary satellite digestate and feedstock storage infrastructure located away from the main AD site.
- Ince Bio Power: Advising on the development of a 21.5MW biomass gasification plant in Ellesmere Port.
- Viridor EfW: Acting for Viridor Waste Management on the £3bn Greater Manchester Waste Disposal PFI, from deal origination, financial close and through to negotiating the restructuring of the project and the eventual consensual termination of the Project. This project involved the construction and operation of both a PFI-funded (70 MWe of electricity and 50 MWe of heat) and an identical (excluding heat offtake) merchant EfW with complex interface arrangements.
- North Yorkshire Waste EfW: Advising the authority on this waste project, restructuring the project as a PPP following the withdrawal of PFI credits and bringing the project through to financial close.
- Gloucestershire Waste: Advising Urbaser as O&M sub-contractor and EPC sub-contractor on the Gloucestershire County Council Residual Waste Treatment PPP.
- Birmingham Bio-Power: Advising the SPV on the financing, construction and operation of a biomass plant.
- Battery storage: Advising on the structuring of its installation of batteries in the national estate of a UK top-10 supermarket, and developing a financeable proposition relaying on income from arbitrage services and enhanced frequency response income.
- Solar PV: Acting for shovel-ready developers disposing of a number of solar projects totalling 66.1 MW.
- North Yorkshire County Council: Advising on £350 million energy from waste project. The project will treat up to 320,000 tonnes of waste per annum and will divert at least 90% of residual waste from landfill.
- Urbaser: Acting for Urbaser on the £180 million Gloucestershire Waste PFI energy from waste (EFW) plant to be located in Javelin Park, Gloucestershire. The new facility has the capability to treat up to 175,000 tonnes of waste per annum.
- Viridor Waste Management Limited: Assisting Pennon Group’s in-house legal team on the £3bn+ Greater Manchester Waste PFI project, involving 30 complex facilities.
- Biffa Waste Services Limited: Advising on a development agreement to buy a redundant power station at Skelton Grange, Leeds and turn it into an energy from waste plant, providing 25.9MW of power to heat 51,600 homes.
- Torbay Council: Advising in relation to circa £400m Direct Services and Waste Joint Venture Scheme, which utilised the competitive dialogue procedure. Ashfords was responsible for leading the procurement process, including the provision of strategic advice and assistance on managing the competitive dialogue process and developing the evaluation framework.
- Advising a large London based waste company on expansion of its activities and the environmental legal challenges.
- Pollution Incident – Assisting client following an unauthorised discharge from an AD plant. Including crisis management, negotiating with the regulator and agreeing the terms of an enforcement undertaking.
- End-of-waste Issues in Project Development – Assisting a client with the legal and technical issues underpinning the commerciality of new waste technologies.
- Due Diligence - Conducting due diligence assessment of environmental permits in the lead up to the acquisition of a waste-to-energy business.
- Waste Duty of Care – Advising a company following the alleged unlawful deposit of waste on their land, under a combination of Environment Agency permits and exemptions.
- Waste Transfer Notices – Advice in relation to best practice and assistance with designing appropriate internal systems and policies for implementation for an energy from waste enterprise.
- Fatality – Defence and inquest advice for a major waste company following a fatal vehicle strike during waste transportation.
- Traffic Commissioner – Advising and supporting a company facing the loss of its vehicle operator’s license following a number of tachograph and maintenance issues. Successfully ensuring the licence continued without restriction or limitation.
- Elgar Byrne Capital Limited & Brilliant Harvest Joint Venture: Advising on the disposal of Hunters Race SPV by way of share sale, a solar farm project of 10.5MW.
- ET Solutions AG: Advising on the EPC contract for a 13MWp solar array project in Leicestershire.
- Low Carbon Exchange: Advising LCX Solar on its £10 million agreement to supply Alliance Homes with solar PV and associated systems.
- Eco NRG: Providing contractual advice relating to developer arrangements for solar array.
- Mi-Space: Reviewing tender documents for Mi-space (Midas Energy), including framework agreements and call-off contract for a pitch to Bristol City Council.
- Advising the UK subsidiary of a German contractor on an EPC contract for the development of a solar farm.
- Gas pipeline: Advising on the acquisition and development of a cross country gas pipeline, including a gas generation station and leases for drilling and production of conventional gas well sites. Advising on the use of compulsory acquisition powers for land and easements in relation to energy related projects including rights under the Pipelines Act.
- Sensus: Advising Sensus on its agreement with Arqiva for the roll out of smart meters to over 10,000,000 users in the North of the UK.
- North Yorkshire County Council: Acting in respect of its energy from waste project. It originally reached commercial close in August 2011 as a PFI project. Ashfords replaced the existing solicitors in 2013 and has advised the authority subsequently on its change to a PPP project and on the changes necessary to the project in order to obtain third party finance.
- Birmingham Bio Power Limited: advising on the financing, construction and operation of a biomass plant.
- Fraddon Biogas Limited: advising on a joint venture for a 1MW AD facility exporting biogas and electricity to the grid. Our work included EPC, crop feedstock and food waste supply, property arrangements and the O&M Contract.
- Nomansland Biogas Limited: advising on a joint venture for a 500KW AD facility exporting electricity to the grid. Our work included EPC, crop feedstock supply, property arrangements and the O&M Contract.
- O-Gen Plymtrek Limited: advising on a joint venture for a 4.3MW Biomass energy facility at Roborough.
- Greater Manchester Waste Disposal PFI: acting for Viridor Waste Management in its capacity as O&M sub-contractor on the £3bn Greater Manchester Waste Disposal PFI.
- Smart Grid: Acting for the Isles of Scilly on its Smart Islands Project which involved the procurement of a joint venture partner for the delivery of smart grid ICT platform and energy infrastructure, including a focus on sustainable social innovation and energy security for the Isles of Scilly’s vision of a fully sustainable island community.
- Power Grid: Acting for an estate in relation to the proposed FAB Link project to build an electrical interconnector between France and Great Britain. Our client's site is the proposed location for the converter station and the developer needed to secure the site and the land over which the cables need to be installed to and from the converter station by way of an option agreement.
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure and Car Clubs
- Brick by brick Croydon Limited: EVCP IO&M Acting for an affordable housing provider based in South London on its procurement for the installation, operation and maintenance of EVCPs across a number of developments in order to discharge s.106 obligations. Negotiating the agreement with the EVCP provider/operator, the property licences for EVCPs cited on third party and highway land, and an insurance deed to cover the insurance of the EVCP units.
- Brick by brick Croydon Limited: CAR CLUB Acting for an affordable housing provider in its procurement of a car club provider across a number of developments. Drafting and negotiating the agreement under which the car club provider and ensuring that the agreement would enable the housing provider to discharge its complex s.106 obligations relating to the operation of a car club.
- Wichelstowe LLP – EVCP Contractual joint venture: Advising a joint venture between a local authority and a private housing developer on its procurement of a contractor for the installation, operation and maintenance of EVCPs across a multi-phase development in the Swindon area. The agreement with the contractor included a long-term maintenance and operation obligation, benchmarking mechanisms to ensure competitive pricing on electricity sales, and a contractual joint venture-style profit share.
- Wandsworth Borough Council – Multi-operator car club scheme: Advising an inner-London local authority on its letting of concessions for the carrying out of car club activities in the borough. Multiple providers were each separately appointed to provide car club services in the borough. Drafting and negotiating the agreements with each of the concessionaires.
- Council of the Isles of Scilly - car club hardware project: The project, which is funded by the Government’s Local Growth Fund and the European Regional Development Fund, forms part of the Smart Islands programme which aims to see the Scilly Isles ‘fit for the future’; resilient, self-sufficient and low carbon.
- Council of the Isles of Scilly – EVCP managmeny agreement: Advising the Council on its procurement of a contractor to manage various EVCP assets in its administrative area. The project formed part of a wider initiative to develop an exclusively EV car club to enhance the grid resilience in the Council’s administrative area.