Ian is a Partner in the Business Risk & Regulation team.
Ian advises clients across the whole range of industry sectors on regulatory compliance and defence representation, with a specific focus on health & safety and environmental risks.
Ian is highly experienced in serious incident representation and crisis management advice, favouring a 'boots on the ground approach' to supporting clients in the immediate aftermath of an incident. He provides representation throughout the lifecycle of a regulatory investigation and prosecution.
Ian's practice also include advising on risk issues during corporate transactions as well as giving advice and training, including providing board room briefings, mock trials and workshops.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Ian was a partner in DAC Beachcroft's safety health and environment team. Ian also developed a practice encompassing Inquest and Inquiry work, including road transport cases before the traffic commissioner.
Ian is recommended by Legal 500 for his environmental and health and safety expertise, most recently as Next Generation Partner for health and safety.
"Ian Manners runs an engaging, efficient and client-focused team which he leads by example."
Ian has appeared on a number of podcasts discussing risk management and has appeared on BBC Radio 4's Farming Today talking about farm safety and cattle risks.
- Successfully Defending a company director charged with gross negligence manslaughter following the death of a worker carrying out glazing installation at a retail park. The trial took place in Bristol Crown Court in January 2022.
- Representing RNLI at a number of Inquests following fatal accidents on beaches during 2020, where lifeguard deployment was impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Acting for the operators of a large anaerobic digester plant, investigated by Natural Resources Wales following a category 1 pollution incident in the River Llynfi. The incident and the response of the regulator was the subject of a documentary film presented by the environmental campaigner, George Monbiot.
- Advising an NHS trust in an investigation lead by CQC in relation to patient safety and trust estate health and safety issues.
- Advising a large social housing charity in a prosecution by HSE following the death of a child using a disabled home lift.
- Successfully representing an early years education provider in an appeal of an enforcement notice relating to alleged Covid-19 risk management and control issues.
- Carrying out health and safety and environmental due diligence for for a waste and recycling company in the acquisition of recycling operator and for an NHS trust taking over the services of another provider.
- Successfully challenging and achieving over £150,000 reduction in investigation fees charged to a business following an HSE investigation.
- Advising Port and Harbour operators in relation to a range of regulatory matters.
- Providing crisis management advice and carrying out internal investigations.