Stephen is a Legal Director in the Planning team, and oversees the firm’s Bristol planning practice. His main focus is on energy, infrastructure and waste development.
For over a decade Stephen has advised on some of the largest projects in the UK promoted under the Planning Act 2008 as Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIPs) including onshore wind, solar, new major highways, new nuclear, a hazardous waste facility and a strategic rail freight interchange. Stephen advises extensively on Developments of National Significance (DNS) in Wales including new onshore wind and solar proposals. He also advises on the development, sale, purchase, funding, finance and refinancing of all types of energy projects (including offshore wind assets).
Stephen advises all the way from the inception of a proposal until its delivery and beyond; including pre-application issues, the approach to consultation, Environmental Impact Assessment compliance and reviews, habitats and biodiversity matters, secondary consents, compulsory purchase, advocacy at hearings, advising on development strategy, post-consent issues and judicial review.
Stephen also has significant experience acting for promoters of major regeneration schemes and new communities, large-scale leisure development (such as a £500m snow dome proposal), aviation development, acting for the agricultural community and significant judicial review experience (High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court).
- Private solar developer: promoting a solar NSIP.
- Private highways developer: promoting and acting as advocate on a major new highways NSIP.
- Private solar developer: promoting and acting as advocate on a 38MWp solar farm proposal in Wales (DNS).
- Private renewable energy developers: promoting onshore wind NSIPs and DNS schemes.
- Private waste operator: advising on an energy from waste development and all aspects of landfill compliance including a new material recycling facility and advice on a ROMP application.
"Stephen Humphreys is highly efficient, ensuring that we fully understand all aspects of the planning issues involved. He is logical, professional and clear-thinking, and has a great depth of knowledge. Very happy to recommend him" Legal 500, Planning Tier 1 - 2020/21