Housebuilding & Development
Newquay Growth Area
Advising Wainhomes, CG Fry and Son, and Morrish Builders on development documentation with the Duchy of Cornwall for the consortium of developers that are undertaking the 4,000 home development of the Newquay Growth Area.
Advising on Maiden Green development, a major development of 80 acres of land west of Truro - a mixed use scheme with a development value more than £200 million.
Advising on the Forder Valley development site, a £160 million housing scheme which will deliver a total development area of 71.37 hectares, of which 38.67 hectares will be given to the North Plymouth Community Park, plus land for an education centre, a city farm and a major new link road.
CG Fry & Son
Acting for CG Fry & Son in relation to a consortium of landowners and developers promoting a 2000+ dwellings extension to Southern Gillingham.
We have acted for a number of companies within the Burrington Estates Group in connection with their acquisition of strategic residential development sites across the South West, including the purchase of a site in the travel to work area of Truro for the construction of a mix of affordable and open market dwellings and a conditional contract for the purchase of land in Yetminster, Dorset on a subject to detailed planning basis. Our work has included site acquisition, assisting with planning agreements and sectional agreements, development agreements for the provision of the affordable housing and open market housing sales.
Acting for a residential developer for a large development on the outskirts of Truro. The application was refused by the council, and counsel was instructed to deal with the appeal. Ashfords worked with a large team of professionals to obtain planning permission for the client, including the negotiation and settling of a Section 106 Agreement including multi-million pound financial contributions.
Social & Affordable Housing
Duchy of Cornwall
Advising on development and planning for the Duchy of Cornwall’s 4,000 unit 540 acre site at Nansledan.
London Borough Council
Advising a JV formed by a London Borough and an RP on a six year £130m regeneration scheme that developed 700 affordable homes, other mixed tenure houses and flats, and private sale homes.
Wandsworth Borough Council
Advising Wandsworth Borough Council on a £250 million mixed use development of a large retail site.
Advising Wichelstowe LLP on a joint venture between BDW Trading Limited and Swindon Borough Council on a residential-led scheme with 2,750 new homes.
London Borough Council
Acting for a London Borough in relation to right to light issues arising in a £50 million mixed use regeneration scheme.
Devon County Council
Advising Devon County Council in respect of a successful £11.5m claim against design consultants and the contractor, arising from the construction of a school which turned out to have major defects and had to be demolished and rebuilt.
Sustainable Urban Regeneration
Acting for a local authority on the disposal of an eight-hectare town centre development site using the competitive dialogue process. Long-term development agreement with novel environmental and sustainability requirements. Development value in excess of £300m.
- Leading UK hospital group: Advising the group on acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic commercial transactions.
- UK private equity firm: Advising on bolt-on acquisitions of specialist care homes.
- Leading UK bank: Advising RBS on its £4.5 million refinancing of the Phoenix Learning and Care group of companies.
- Dementia live-in care provider: Advising Hometouch Care on a £2m investment round led by German investment fund, Ananda Impact Ventures.
- Various GP surgeries: Acting for a number of GP surgeries in connection with the construction of new surgeries or extensions and ongoing lettings to complementary medical services and pharmacies.
- National AIM listed provider of care services for adults and children with learning disabilities: Successfully defended against High Court injunctive relief and damages proceedings by the former employer of a newly appointed director and against a County Court claim of negligent misstatement in a reference including the full recovery of legal costs from the claimant.
- National physiotherapy business and national care home operator: conducting regulatory due diligence on multiple acquisitions.
PRS & Build to Rent
Wembley Park - Build to Rent
We advised the London Borough of Brent in relation to the Wembley Park Development, the
UK’s largest Build to Rent scheme c.5,000 homes.
Oldchurch Park - PRS
Our lawyers have advised in the disposal to Mercury of the first PRS scheme for the London Borough of Havering.