Derek is a Legal Director in the Real Estate team.
Derek advises social housing clients and charity not for profit organisations on a wide range of matters relating to land acquisition, development agreements and dealing with sales on an open market and shared ownership basis.
He also regularly deals with commercial property matters and leases including retail and office units for registered providers and charities. He has a particular expertise in VAT and property issues.
Prior to working for Ashfords Derek was a Legal Director at TLT LLP.
- Social housing provider: Acting for a major national social housing provider in in the acquisition of a poor quality council housing estate by Small Scale Voluntary Transfer for redevelopment and regeneration for approximately 150 new homes including rehousing of existing tenants and open market sales overage and development agreement with the local authority.
- Social housing provider: Acting for a national social housing provider in set up of the open market and shared ownership sales. Including advising in relation to sales based overage obligations on sales values with public body.
- Registered provider: Acting for a registered provider in respect of a grant of lease of supermarket store in mixed use housing development block to major retailer.
- Housing association: Acting in a major London regeneration scheme of up to 1500 new homes and negotiating the leases to the energy provider for a CHP system for the estate.
- Registered provider: Acting in the purchase of surplus school land by way of sub-sale and development agreement for construction of approximately 50 homes for mixed use open market and affordable housing.