Laura is a Senior Associate in the Construction & Infrastructure Team, specialising in non-contentious construction work.
Laura acts for a range of clients including developers, local authorities, contractors, sub-contractors and funders. She has extensive experience in advising on the construction aspects of projects across a variety of sectors, including commercial, residential, retail and leisure, education, energy and waste and local government.
Laura's procurement experience covers standard forms of construction contract (including JCT, NEC, MF/1 and FIDIC), together with bespoke forms of contract, professional consultant appointments and ancillary construction documentation such as collateral warranties, novation agreements, letters of intent, bonds and parent company guarantees. She also works closely with Ashfords’ Real Estate team in drafting, negotiating and advising on the construction aspects of agreements for lease, sale contracts, development agreements and the like.
Whilst Laura’s practice is focused primarily on non-contentious construction matters, she also has experience in construction disputes resolution (including pre-action negotiations, adjudications and Court proceedings), particularly in the energy and waste sectors.
- International retailer: Acting for the client in connection with a range of non-contentious construction matters, to facilitate continued expansion of the business and associated infrastructure. Work to date has included drafting, negotiating and advising on the construction documentation (including JCT, MF/1, FIDIC and bespoke contracts) for: (i) a new 1.2 million sq ft processing and distribution centre; (ii) the client's new office HQ; and (iii) store fit-out and other business infrastructure projects across Europe.
- Exeter City Council: Drafting, negotiating and advising on the JCT Design & Build Contract and ancillary construction documentation for a new bus station and leisure centre. The project will create the UK's first Passivhaus leisure centre and one of the world’s most energy efficient swimming facilities.
- National Youth Theatre of Great Britain: Drafting the JCT Standard Building Contract and ancillary construction documentation for Phase 1 of the client’s redevelopment of its Holloway Road headquarters.
- Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust: Drafting and advising on the Trust's construction framework agreement (covering a range of planned and reactive works across the Trust’s three main hospitals), including the form of NEC4 Term Service Contract, bespoke form of Task Order and ancillary construction documentation.
- Waste management company: Advising the client in connection with a complex, long running dispute relating to commissioning test failures on a PFI project to design and construct a waste treatment plant.