- Acting for an overseas company in a multi-million dollar claim against an European Bank.
- Acting in a multi million dollar arbitration against an overseas entity.
- Acting on a $20 million claim on behalf of a major European bank.
- Acting for development client in multi million pound claim for professional negligence relating to compulsory purchase of land.
- Representing three Defendants in a two-year long running libel case.
- Advising on contractual issues relating to an oil development project.
- Advising on aspects of English law in connection with a multi million pound international arbitration.
- Providing evidence to foreign courts and arbitrators on matters of English law.
Business Support – Liability Claims
- Knowing when to settle: advising in relation to a fatal accident involving a passenger in our insured's vehicle. Our insured driver had no memory of the crash and was in a vulnerable psychological condition and potentially suicidal. The deceased's parents had both attended the accident scene and suffered PTSD. We gathered evidence at an early stage and were able to provide a realistic valuation of the claim which enabled an early settlement offer. We obtained a contribution from another party. In doing so, we were able to reduce the emotional and psychological impact of the litigation process on all parties
- Being robust on costs: advising in relation to a straightforward RTA case where C had instructed his solicitors late and had to issue proceedings. We argued that there had been unreasonable delay and that C should not be able to recover costs on hourly rate basis but instead be limited to predictable costs. We enforced our position by ensuring that quantum of the claim was agreed soon after medical evidence was served. As a result C recovered less than a third of the value of costs claimed. Our role was to ensure that the C's solicitors did not achieve a "windfall" on costs due to failure to pursue case with diligence
- Recognising a weak claim: advising a local authority where C allegedly fell in pot hole. Primary liability admitted but causation disputed because of discrepancies in evidence. C speaks English as second language. C put to proof regarding the circumstances of the accident. no offers made. Counsel advised settle but C solicitors eventually offered a "drop hands" which was happily accepted by our client
- Support with the Portal Process: we can provide a quick "health check" on stage 2 negotiations to ensure that only the right cases proceed to stage 3, thereby avoiding unnecessary cost and delay
- 100% commitment on all cases: whether the claim is allocated to the small claims track or has a reserve set in excess of £5m, we know that our clients want to win the right cases and that preparation and forward thinking are the key to success.