James is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team in London. He represents clients on a wide range of commercial dispute resolution matters. James has been qualified for 16 years.
James has a wealth of litigation experience which includes complex, high-value and multi-jurisdictional cases. He is an expert in contractual disputes, debt recovery and asset tracing, fraud, insolvency, company/partnership matters and directors’ duties.
He has handled a large number of cases involving freezing injunctions and other urgent relief where his quick-thinking and decisiveness have been highly successful.
James also specialises in regulatory matters including FCA claims and investigations where his clients have included City stockbrokers and private investors.
He is an expert on enforcement action and recovery of debts. He also gives specialist advice on personal guarantees both in terms of enforcement and avoidance.
James acts both for individuals and businesses and he gives clear and practical advice to claimants and defendants. His tenacious but commercial approach is always geared to achieving the best possible outcome for clients. In this regard, James is a highly skilled negotiator and experienced in all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution including mediation.
James has specialised in litigation since qualifying in 2002 and brings great experience to the Dispute Resolution Team at Ashfords. He was previously a Partner in a West End litigation practice before a long spell in a City firm as Head of the Dispute Resolution and Litigation department.
- Daraydan -v- Solland: Acting in a £100m+ fraud claim against the ruling family of Qatar which remains a leading case in the law of bribery.
- Financial Conduct Authority: Acting in numerous claims against the FCA including a case with the record fine imposed on an individual.Also acted for City stockbrokers in FCA investigation into market manipulation and insider trading.
- Art gallery: Acting for a London art gallery and famous art collector in many matters including commercial disputes.
- UAE firm: Advising in winding-up proceedings concerning the acquisition of Manchester City Football Club by Abu Dhabi United Group.
- National retailer: Acting in multiple cases in London and overseas including fraud claims by liquidators and action by a Chinese company for breach of copyright and passing off.