Inheritance disputes

When someone dies, their family often want to ensure that their will accurately records their wishes and properly provides for their family. If someone who thought they would inherit does not, the deceased’s family can find themselves dealing with an inheritance dispute.

Challenge an inheritance

Certain relatives and dependants can challenge a will or the rules of intestacy (where the deceased died without a will) if the provision made for them is insufficient, by claiming under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.

In a case where reasonable financial provision has not been made, the Inheritance Act allows the court to change the shares of the deceased's estate.

For more information, see Inheritance Act Claims.

There are strict time limits that apply to Inheritance Act claims.  If you are considering bringing a claim, or if you find yourself having to defend a claim, we recommend that you seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible.

Contesting a will

If a will does not properly record the deceased’s wishes, it may be that the will can be challenged on the basis that it is invalid, or on the  grounds of rectification .

Read our FAQs: 

If you would like advice on an inheritance dispute, please contact our Disputed Wills and Trusts Team on freephone 0800 0931336, or by email for a no obligation chat to see how we can help you.

Contact us

Key Contacts

View all our people

Send us a message