Stephen is a Partner and Head of the award-winning Employment Team specialising in all aspects of employment law. Stephen has been qualified for 18 years.
Stephen acts for companies based in the UK, Europe, Australia and the USA in sector specifics including technology, financial services, manufacturing and retail. He provides commercial and employment advice on all aspects of employment law, from the beginning of the employment relationship through to the end of the employment relationship and post termination. He is often appointed by companies to assist with strategic business decisions.
Stephen also acts for senior executives and TV & radio presenters in public and in high profile matters. He is often involved in successfully resolving boardroom issues and disputes.
Stephen has a great deal of experience in employment related anti-competition injunction claims in the High Court and in particular the successful enforcement of and defence of restrictive covenant actions. He is regularly instructed to advise on team moves. He is as familiar in the Employment Tribunal as he is in the High Court.
He also deals with industrial relation and multi-jurisdiction employment law matters and in particular issues surrounding TUPE and employee status.
Stephen also acted in one of the most high profile whistleblowing cases which ran for several years and resulted in an award in excess of £1.2 million.
Stephen heads the Ashfords Employment Team, which recently won "Employment Team of the Year" at The Lawyer Awards 2016.
Stephen is often invited to speak on radio to share his views and has contributed to Radio 5, Radio 2 (Jeremy Vine), LBC and BBC Birmingham.
Stephen holds membership in the Employment Lawyers Association, International Bar Association and the New York Bar Association.
Stephen has been recognised in Chambers and Legal 500, and is also a previous Times Lawyer of the Week.
- National Recruitment Business: Acting for a national recruitment business and enforcing restrictive covenants in the High Court.
- Post Office: Advising the Post Office surrounding the demerger from the Royal Mail Group on the TUPE implications of their IT infrastructure.
- European Credit Management Limited: Advising during a complex, leading reported, sex discrimination and equal pay case brought by a former employee, which went to the Court of Appeal. The Court of Appeal dismissed the Claimant's appeal against the decision of the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- FinAir (one of Finland's national airlines): Advising the client in relation to the re-organisation of its UK offices and staff. Working alongside the client's HR team, Stephen's work included advising the client on all aspects of the re-organisation process, and assisting the client in the preparation of all relevant documents and the conduct of meetings.
- Financial services sector client (highly confidential): Acting for a large international business in the financial services sector, in relation to the successful defence of a complex discrimination claim.
- Restaurant chain: Continual advising and acting for one of the largest restaurant chains in the UK.