Michael is a Partner and Head of the Trusts and Estates Team specialising in acting for and advising landed estates and agricultural clients.
He also advises on inheritance tax, trust formation and on-going administration and the administration of complex estates including business and agricultural property as well as heritage property and works of art. Michael acts as a Court of Protection Deputy for a number of clients with impaired capacity.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Michael was a Partner with Shoosmiths and, prior to that, he was a Partner with Freeth Cartwright LLP.
- Private client: Acting in the administration of a complex Intestacy including applying to the Court for a Variation on behalf of a minor to incorporate an IHT saving arrangement.
- Private clients: Advising substantial landowners with mixed agricultural, engineering and commercial property letting activities on IHT planning under the so called "Balfour" approach.
- Private client: Advising on a £40 million estate on IHT issues as part of a long-term succession strategy.
- Private client: Acting for a Sicilian-born individual now lacking capacity in relation to managing her assets including Sicilian and Italian Properties/assets.
- Private client: Dealing with the estate of a UK domiciled individual with US based (excluded) trusts where domicile had changed since creation of the US Trusts.