Michael Alden is an SRA Regulated private wealth partner, head of the Private Wealth Division and member of the firm’s management board. Michael qualified in 1994 and specialises in acting for and advising landed estates, agricultural clients and entrepreneurs.
He also advises on inheritance tax, trust formation and their on-going administration, the administration of complex estates including business and agricultural property as well as heritage property and works of art. Michael acts as a Court of Protection Deputy for a number of clients with impaired capacity.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Michael was a Partner with Shoosmiths and, prior to that, he was a Partner with Freeth Cartwright LLP.
- Private client: Acting in the administration of a complex Intestacy including applying to the Court for a Variation on behalf of a minor to incorporate an IHT saving arrangement.
- Private clients: Advising substantial landowners with mixed agricultural, engineering and commercial property letting activities on IHT planning under the so called "Balfour" approach.
- Private client: Advising on a £40 million estate on IHT issues as part of a long-term succession strategy.
- Private client: Acting for a Sicilian-born individual now lacking capacity in relation to managing her assets including Sicilian and Italian Properties/assets.
- Private client: Dealing with the estate of a UK domiciled individual with US based (excluded) trusts where domicile had changed since creation of the US Trusts.