The MIB's Untraced and Uninsured Driver Agreements

The Motor Insurers Bureau ("MIB") is an organisation designed to help people who have been involved in road traffic accidents where the person at fault is either not identified (such as in hit and run cases) or was uninsured at the time of the accident. The accidents must involve the use of a motor vehicle or trailer on a road or public place in Great Britain.

Following consultation between the MIB and the Government, a new 2017 Untraced Drivers Agreement and a supplementary agreement to the Uninsured Drivers Agreement 2015 have been released, both of which will apply to accidents which occur from 1 March 2017.

What will these changes mean?

Both new agreements remove the exclusion that uninsured Claimants cannot bring a claim for property damage.

The 2017 Untraced Drivers' Agreement now requires a prescribed MIB claim form to be completed, rather than accepting a claim in any written form.

Another major change is that it is no longer essential that claims are reported to the police within a set period of time. The accident now only needs to be reported to the police, if the MIB reasonably requests you to do so.

The 2017 Untraced Drivers' Agreement has also been amended to state that claims for property damage arising from an unidentified vehicle can be made, if the Claimant suffered 'significant personal injury' - defined as death or having to spend 2 nights or more in hospital or 3 sessions or more of out-patient treatment.

The property damage claim will be paid out for any losses over the £400 excess which applies under the 2017 Untraced Drivers' Agreement.

The new 2017 Untraced Drivers Agreement sets out a new fee scale in respect of the MIB's contribution towards costs and gives an opportunity for a higher contribution to be made in respect of costs in exceptionally complex cases.

It is envisaged that those seeking to bring claims via the MIB, particularly under the Untraced Drivers' Agreement shall now find it easier to make a claim and recover compensation in respect of both personal injury and property damage.

If you have suffered an accident that involved an untraced or uninsured driver then we may be able to assist you. Please contact Flora Wood for a confidential conversation about your needs. 

Send us a message