Toptal Finance has recently released a report highlighting trends in the VC market in 2019. The report notes that whilst there has been an increase with overall investment, there have been fewer VC deal globally.
The reasons credited for this trend are:
1. Fewer companies are being funded;
2. Startups are raising larger rounds and staying private for longer;
3. Growth and value is remaining inside private markets;
4. The increasing number of "mega funds" means private stakes are being maintained for longer; and
5. VC funds are looking towards less risky investments and focusing on more established companies.
Link to related articles: www.toptal.com/finance/venture-capital-consultants/state-of-venture-capital-industry-2019