Duncan joined Ashfords in March 2016 having spent 17 years working in the Legal Department for Teignbridge District Council, the last three years of which as the Solicitor to the Council. Duncan was also Deputy Monitoring Officer from 2007. His work for the Council encompassed a broad range of subject areas including governance, licensing, housing, environmental health, contracts and property. However the largest element of his practice was planning law.
He advised Teignbridge District Council’s Planning Committee for over ten years and advised officers and members in relation to all elements of the Council’s planning function, particularly in the formulation of the Local Plan, consideration of applications, appeals and enforcement.
Since joining Ashfords' Planning Team he has acted for a number of local authorities, most notably the London Borough of Wandsworth. He attends and provides legal advice to Wandsworth's monthly Planning Applications Committee. He advises Wandsworth's Planning Officers on all aspect of development management and acts for the council in drafting and negotiating Section 106 Agreements.
In addition to his public sector clients, Duncan also acts for national housebuilders and private landowners.
- London Borough of Wandsworth: Drafting and negotiating Section 106 Agreements for large scale residential developments on behalf of the council including the redevelopment of the Homebase site in Wandsworth, which is the first application to be called-in by the Mayor of London following the adoption of the Affordable Housing and Viability SPG in August 2017.Bespoke drafting of private rented sector and discounted market rent clauses, including clawback, for the development of 89 apartments in Battersea.
- London Borough of Wandsworth: Advising the council on an article 4 direction and asset of community value nomination for a public house.
- London Borough of Wandsworth: Acting for the council in the redevelopment of the Royal College of Art's proposed redevelopment of its Battersea South Campus.
- Devon County Council: Acting for the council in relation to the Section 106 Agreement for the re-development of the Exeter Bus Station.
- Devon County Council: Acting for the council in relation to the Section 106 Agreement for the 900 home development at Tithebarn Green, Mosshayne, East Devon.