Marine, Transport and Logistics
The Ashfords Marine, Transport and Logistics Team specialises in all aspects of marine related legal advice to a national and international client base in the ports, commercial shipping, transport, leisure and fishing industries. We act for port and harbour authorities, marina operators, shipping companies, international banks, coastal developers and other marine businesses.
We advise in relation to all aspects of marine regulation, including harbour revision, empowerment and closure orders, harbour and pilotage dues, harbour directions and byelaws (including prosecutions), statutory harbour powers, removal of vessels and wrecks, harbour works licensing, oil pollution claims, other environmental matters and Maritime Safety (“MCA” and “HSE”).
We are also active in the commercial shipping and fishing industries advising on all aspects of marine and transport casualty work, fisheries matters, ship building and repair, charter contracts, offshore industry, crewing agency related and charterparty disputes, marine fatal accidents and personal injury claims. We will seek to resolve disputes without resorting to Court. However, when necessary we conduct significant Admiralty court cases and LMAA arbitrations, and arrest vessels to protect the position of our clients.
- Marine Regulation
- Harbour Revision, Empowerment and Closure Orders
- Marine Licensing and Planning
- Marine disputes
- Collisions, salvage or charterparty disputes
- Fishing industry claims
- Personal injury fatality matters arising from accidents at sea
- Shipbuilding contracts and negotiating sale and purchase agreements for both buyers and sellers
- Yachting and leisure marine
- Helicopter and aircraft contracts
- Advising Camoren Holdings Ltd, a company incorporated in Gibraltar, on the £1.4 billion Blue Water Gibraltar Super Yacht Marina Development, representing the largest outside investment for Gibraltar.
- Advising a major international bank in the repossession and subsequent sale and purchase (through the Admiralty Court) of a fleet of vessels valued at over €10million. Dealing with all issues on behalf of the bank and advising sellers on all issues involved
- Advising third party interests arising out of the "Napoli" grounding on the south coast of Devon in 2007; dealing with all issues through to the Admiralty Court hearing and protecting substantial interests accordingly
- Acting for a number of harbour authorities, advising on regulatory matters, including harbour revision orders, statutory harbour powers, harbour directions and byelaws, prosecutions, removal of vessels and wrecks.
- Acting for the pilot of "The Sea Empress" involved in a 70,000 metric tonne spill in Milford Haven and ensuring that all issues were dealt with arising out of owners and/or charterers allegations
- Acting for a major fishing industry organisation and concluding matters with RWE nPower in respect of a £10 billion windfarm development
- Acting for a UK shipping company in the financing and purchase of three 5,000 tonne vessels to the value of €7 million
- Advising clients on shipbuilding contracts worth in excess of €50 million primarily for super yachts and built in either North West Europe or Taiwan (Far East)