Giles is an Associate in the Commercial and Intellectual Property Team.
He has a broad range of experience in helping businesses identify, commercialise and protect their intellectual property rights (copyright, trademarks, designs, passing off, patents and confidential information). Giles also advises clients on various types of business-to-business and business-to-consumer contracts. He deals with both contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Well-known children's author: Advising the business behind a well-known children's author in connection with the protection and commercialisation of the author's intellectual property rights. In particular, advising the literary estate on its IP enforcement strategy,in respect of various third party infringers of its intellectual property, preparing cease and desist correspondence and negotiating settlements on behalf of the client.
- Music technology business: Part of the Ashfords' team acting on behalf of a music technology business in the bringing of registered trade mark and passing off proceedings in the High Court against three defendants based outside the jurisdiction.
- Internationally renowned brand of designer footwear: Advising the business in connection with a number of claims against competing international retailers of fashion wear in respect of the infringement of our client's shoe designs.
- Medical devices company: Advising the company in respect of an audit of its intellectual property rights, including carrying out due diligence into the client's intellectual property portfolio, attending the client's premises to discuss aspects of their existing intellectual property capture and commercialisation strategy and preparing a detailed report to the client, setting out recommendations to: improve the protection of its intellectual property assets; management of potential risks associated with intellectual property; and recommending management processes to improve the client's protection and commercialisation of its intellectual property.
- Swallowfield PLC: Advising the shareholders of Swallowfield PLC on the intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of The Brand Architekts Limited, including carrying out due diligence into the target company's intellectual property portfolio (which included the well-known "DIRTY WORKS" brand) and drafting/negotiating intellectual property warranties in the share purchase agreement and other ancillary documentation.
Confidential Information: The Importance of NDAs
Confidentiality agreements, also known as Non-Disclosure Agreements ("NDA"), are designed to protect crucial and commercially sensitive business information, for example,...
Tesco's pricing dispute with Unilever shows...
Last week Tesco removed all Unilever products from its online store, following a decision by Unilever to raise its UK...