Stephen is a Solicitor in the Business Risk and Regulation Team.
Stephen assists with a broad range of the department's work including both prosecution and defence matters. Stephen advises clients on a wide range of criminal matters covering environmental, fraud, health and safety matters as well as general crime and road traffic cases.
He also has experience in dealing with animal welfare matters as well as environmental cases.
Stephen regularly appears in Magistrates' Courts across the South West and London.
Prior to joining the Business Risk and Regulation Team, Stephen gained experience in the Commercial Property, Construction and Trusts and Estates departments.
- Private Individual: Defending an owner of a kennels accused of multiple animal welfare offences as well as licensing offences. Was able to encourage the court not to revoke the client's kennels licence, and persuaded the court not to ban the client from keeping animals in the future.
- Public Body: Successfully prosecuting numerous offences under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 relating to the spillage of hundreds of litres of oil in a harbour.
- Private Individual: Defending a client accused of fly-tipping in a rural area. Was able to persuade the court in written submissions that the Local Authority's prosecution costs claimed for seizure of the vehicle involved were not recoverable due to the improper seizure of the vehicle, and was also able to convince the court to return the vehicle to the client rather than order it forfeited.
- Private Individuals: Persuading the courts through detailed mitigation not to disqualify drivers for offences such as speeding and careless driving and to impose points instead.
- Local authority: Assisting with the prosecution of a rogue trader for fraud and trading standards offences.