Rob is a Solicitor Advocate in the Business Risk and Regulation Team specialising in advising on a variety of criminal proceedings.
Rob has gained his Higher Rights of Audience and is able to represent clients in all Higher Courts in relation to criminal proceedings. He is experienced in advising clients in relation to fraud, environmental, health and safety, general crime and road traffic offences.
Rob provides advice on a wide range of criminal and regulatory proceedings, covering both prosecution and defence. This in turn provides a distinct advantage when representing clients bringing or facing proceedings in the criminal courts. Rob has also undertaken a secondment to a local authority where he provided advice on a variety of criminal prosecutions including trading standards and education. He currently prosecutes a number of complex and high profile cases for a small department connected to central government.
Prior to Joining Ashfords, Rob was a Solicitor and Senior Case Progression Officer in arguably the largest criminal road traffic specialist firm in the UK. He advised clients in relation to all manner of road traffic offences including death by dangerous driving, dangerous driving and drink and drug driving. He is a trained operator of the Home Office approved breath test devices and has saved thousands of driving licences.
Prior to becoming a Solicitor, Rob served as a Special Constable for 10 years and reached the rank of Superintendent. He led a team of over 120 officers carrying out operational policing duties. Rob also undertook a number of attachments with various departments such as Traffic, CID, Proactive Policing Teams and Custody. The experience he has gained put together with his technical legal knowledge and attention to detail is a great advantage to clients.
Rob is a member of:
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- Private Prosecutors Association
- Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- Various clients: Numerous successful prosecutions for blue badge fraud, environmental offences and high profile complex cases leading to significant custodial sentences being imposed.
- Private individual: Persuaded the Crown Prosecution Service to withdraw proceedings prior to the first hearing in relation to a taxi driver who was alleged to have driven dangerously.
- Private individual: Persuaded the Crown Prosecution Service to withdraw proceedings of careless driving after showing that the client was not at fault and it was the Police Officer who had driven carelessly.
- Private individual: Overturned a 4-year long drink driving disqualification for the MD of a company on appeal.
- Various clients: Acquittal of numerous alleged road traffic offences including driving without insurance, using a mobile telephone, speeding, failing to provide driver information and drink and drug drivers where the Police have failed to follow the correct procedure.