Paul has particular expertise in dealing with rent reviews, dilapidations claims, lease renewals, party wall matters, rights to light disputes and professional negligence claims relating to property. His wide client base includes property companies, property funds, retailers, leisure operators, banks, pension funds and entrepreneurs.
The team in London have a particular expertise in dealing with High Value residential property particularly dealing with lease extensions, enfranchisement and disputes in respect of licenses to alterations.
He is a member of the Property Litigation Association, London Litigation Solicitors Association and the Pyramus & Thisbe Club. He regularly lectures in all aspects of property law. Paul runs regular seminars at Ashfords on a wide range of real estate linked topics. In addition Paul has lectured in Jersey, Guernsey & the Isle of Man on real estate issues. He acts for a number of clients in the offshore jurisdictions and has a particular expertise in advising directors and trustees in real estate matters
Paul was recently invited by the Pyramus & Thisbe Club to deliver a keynote speech alongside Hardwicke Chambers at the prestigious 2018 John Anstey Memorial Lunch. The Club played a pivotal role in the framing of the present Party Wall etc. Act 1996. The talk entitled ‘Injunctions for Surveyors; dealing with interference with Property’ addressed key legal challenges in Party Wall disputes to an audience of 100 party wall professionals from London and the Home Counties.
Paul is recognised as a leader in his field by Chambers & Partners and is described as "excellent, calm and pragmatic" in the latest edition of Legal 500.
- Acting for the Freeholder in the Court of Appeal case of Julia Duval v 11-13 Randolph Crescent Limited  EWCA Civ 2298 which examined a landlords freedom to grant licence for structural alterations
- Advising an large west end occupier in respect of their landlord's refusal to grant a new tenancy by relying on Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 S31 (f)
- Advising a landlord in relation to negligent service received by their managing agents, in regard their failure to recover service charges
- Advising an international fund in respect of the removal of 20 tenants from a development site.
- Advising on a complex Party Wall dispute for a City of London Freeholder, including settling the dispute at mediation.
- Acting in a rent review dispute for a Central London Freeholder where the extent of the tenant's demise was in dispute.
- Advising an off shore trust in respect of a claim from a beneficiary to be exclusively entitled to occupy a trust asset.
Delivers thorough and effective work for clients.
Legal 500 2018