Melissa is a Solicitor in the Public Sector Team specialising in providing advice to public, private and third sector clients on commercial contracts, procurement law and State aid.
Melissa has gained significant experience in advising a variety of Local Authorities as they seek to drive efficiencies through innovative delivery structures. This includes an emerging focus on public sector housing delivery vehicles.
Melissa has advised a number of public and private sector clients on the procurement rules and regularly prepares complex procurement risk reports and tender documentation.
State aid advice has become an increasingly significant part of Melissa's practice. Melissa regularly advises public, private and third sector clients on the State aid regime and ERDF and ESIF applications by providing comprehensive State aid assessments. Melissa has been involved in a variety of projects spanning a number of industries including telecommunications, highways infrastructure and aeronautical equipment.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Melissa worked as a Paralegal in a Devon based firm working within the Commercial Property department.
- Exeter City Council: Advising the Council in relation to its establishment of a wholly owned housing development company. Instructions covered all elements of the legal work required to bring this project to fruition, including project structuring, options appraisals, procurement advice (which included details advice on the “Teckal” exemption), State aid, governance, vires, local authority finance structures, application of the right to buy, high value voids and housing management.
- Homes for Lambeth: Ashfords is the sole legal advisor to the HFL Group, which is wholly owned by the London Borough of Lambeth and is delivering new homes across its estates and on privately-owned estates. Instructions have included reviewing and amending drafts of key documents in order to highlight any major issues, in addition to providing legal advice in respect of procurement, corporate governance and State aid.
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea: Advising the Borough on its £253 million procurement of a consultancy and construction framework for its housing management capital investment programme.
- Council of the Isles of Scilly: Developing a compliant State aid solution to use public resources to part-fund the costs of SMEs installing renewable energy and energy reduction measures and to invest in an In-Vessel Composting Plant and an Advanced Thermal Treatment Plant.
- Local Authority: Developing a compliant State aid solution to use public resources to purchase aeronautical navigation facilities at a regional airport to allow it to overcome a barrier to development in a nearby designated Enterprise Zone.
- Community Interest Company: Developing a complaint State aid solution for the CIC on its market town workspace project, set to deliver support, space and investment to 167 businesses (start-ups, social enterprises, Bcorps, SMEs and entrepreneurs).