Melissa is a Solicitor in the Public Sector Team specialising in providing advice to public, private and third sector clients on commercial contracts, procurement law and State aid.
Melissa has gained significant experience in advising a variety of Local Authorities as they seek to drive efficiencies through innovative delivery structures. This includes an emerging focus on public sector housing delivery vehicles.
Melissa has advised a number of public and private sector clients on the procurement rules and regularly prepares complex procurement risk reports and tender documentation.
State aid advice has become an increasingly significant part of Melissa's practice. Melissa regularly advises public, private and third sector clients on the State aid regime and ERDF and ESIF applications by providing comprehensive State aid assessments. Melissa has been involved in a variety of projects spanning a number of industries including telecommunications, highways infrastructure and aeronautical equipment.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Melissa worked as a Paralegal in a Devon based firm working within the Commercial Property department.
- Local Authority: Advising the council in relation to its establishment of a wholly owned housing development company. Our instructions cover all elements of the legal work required to bring this project to fruition, including project structuring, options appraisals, procurement advice, State aid, governance, vires, local authority finance structures, application of the right to buy, high value voids and housing management.
- London Borough: Assisting in providing legal advice to a London Borough for the establishment of corporate groups of companies tasked with developing/constructing social and market housing and managing social and affordable housing for its housing delivery venture. This will include reviewing and amending drafts of key documents in order to highlight any major issues, in addition to providing legal advice in respect of procurement, corporate governance and State aid.
- Large Customer Service and Retail Company: Advising a service facility provider on the application of the Public Contract Regulations 2015 in respect of the award of a number of contracts. This has included drafting procurement risk reports on the application of Regulation 72 (Modifications of Contracts during their Term), Regulation 32 (Use of the Negotiated Procedure without Prior Publication), Chapter 8 (Below Threshold Procurements) and the rules relating to various CCS Frameworks.
- Wandsworth Borough Council: Advising the Council in relation to all of its commercial contract and procurement matters. Recent work has included advising in relation to the procurement of vital upgrade and maintenance services for Wandsworth's CCTV systems, reviewing/drafting suites of complex procurement documentation, vires, extensions and early termination of contracts, grant advice and drafting service contracts across the spectrum of health and social care, housing, education and business services.
- Local Authority: Developing a compliant State aid solution to use public resources to purchase aeronautical navigation facilities at a regional airport to allow it to overcome a barrier to development in a nearby designated Enterprise Zone.