Partner and Chairman
Mark is a Partner, Chairman of Ashfords and Head of the Intellectual Property Team. Mark specialises in advising clients on all aspects of intellectual property and information technology law.
With over twenty five years of experience in practice Mark advises, drafts negotiates, and guides clients on research and development agreements, technology transfers, joint ventures (including on their governance) acquiring, disposing, defending, enforcing and licensing patents, copyright, designs, databases, and trade marks, plus protecting rights in technical, commercial and personal information.
He frequently works across national borders and has in depth knowledge of all of the legal and commercial issues in bringing IP and ICT products to the market in both the private and public sectors.
- Penhaligon's Limited: Acting as Client Partner for all English law legal issues for the luxury English fragrance house Penhaligon's Limited, including management of its global portfolio of trade-marks and for its French affiliate L'Artisan Parfumeur.
- Global food industry companies and major UK retail outlets: Acting as Lead Partner in a food processing technology patent case involving global food industry companies and major UK retail outlets. The work involves advice on the interpretation of patent rights and protecting our client's interests and freedom to operate in the UK.
- Public bodies: Acting as Client Partner and providing IP rights and governance advice on the successful procurement by a consortium of 15 public bodies of cloud services for the education sector in the UK.
- Charities: Advising two charities and one university on contractual and corporate structures to develop and exploit e-safety technologies. Models considered including joint ventures and spin out companies.
- Public agency: Advising an innovation and enterprise public agency on governance models ranging from companies limited by guarantee to social enterprise models.