Katie is a Legal Director in the Restructuring and Insolvency Team and Head of the Asset Recovery Team.
Katie specialises in all insolvency matters, including personal and corporate insolvency and contentious and non-contentious matters. She regularly acts for Insolvency Practitioners and buyers in connection with insolvent business sales and purchases. Katie also acts for Secured Lenders and Receivers and advises in connection with the appointment of Fixed Charge and LPA Receivers and property transactions.
Katie is experienced in advising Insolvency Practitioners, companies, directors and individuals in relation to insolvency litigation, including disqualification proceedings, misfeasance proceedings and antecedent transactions, and regularly undertakes specialist debt recovery work on behalf of clients with particular expertise in the recovery of debts from debtors located abroad and foreign debtors.
Katie has achieved the Certificate of Proficiency in Insolvency and regularly speaks at a range of seminar and training events, including at seminars for providers such as LexisNexis, MBL, R3 and SWSCA. She has been described as a "very good", "excellent" and "well prepared" speaker in feedback from those providers' attendees.
Katie is responsible for training and knowledge management within the department, and coordinated and wrote a series of articles for practitioners on the implementation of the Insolvency Rules 2016. Response to these bulletins include "… the bulletins … were easy to read and understand. They are all firmly on my file and have already been used numerous times and no doubt will continue to be a valuable source of reference." Caroline Harris, Senior Insolvency Manager, Albert Goodman LLP
- Retiring office holder: Acted on the block transfer of appointments for a retiring office holder to his replacement in an application under the Insolvency Rules 2016.
- Liquidator of manufacturing company: Advised the office holder on a competing set of retention of title, possessory lien and other ownership and contractual disputes in relation to the company's sole remaining and very valuable partially completed machinery, resulting in a higher than expected realisation.
- Confidential instructions: Acted for a housing association company limited by guarantee, advising in connection with the terms of a trust of property granted by an ecclesiastical body, and theimplications of the insolvency of the housing association on the trust and the property.
- E-Learning Business: Acted for the purchaser of an e-learning division of an insolvent company to strict timetable where the key assets acquired were a range of intellectual property.
- Trustee in Bankruptcy: Advised a Trustee in Bankruptcy on complex trust and security arrangements over a bankrupt's portfolio of buy to let property, including issues such as abatement notices, land tribunal hearings, disclaimer and an application to Court leading to a six figure realisation for the estate.
Katie is one of the best insolvency lawyers and is very knowledgeable. I have never known her to be wrong. She is great at chasing delinquent directors and the phrase 'blood from a stone' was invented for her.
David Kirk, Insolvency Practitioner, Kirks