Katie specialises in all insolvency matters, including personal and corporate insolvency and contentious and non-contentious matters. She regularly acts for Insolvency Practitioners and buyers in connection with insolvent business sales and purchases. Katie also acts for Secured Lenders and Receivers and advises in connection with the appointment of Fixed Charge and LPA Receivers and property transactions.
Katie is experienced in advising Insolvency Practitioners, companies, directors and individuals in relation to insolvency litigation, including disqualification proceedings, misfeasance proceedings and antecedent transactions.
Katie oversees the Asset Recovery team and regularly undertakes specialist debt recovery work on behalf of clients, with particular expertise in the recovery of debts from debtors located abroad and foreign debtors. Katie is recommended in the 2021 edition of the Legal 500, with clients saying of the debt recovery service she leads: “Although Ashfords is a large firm, the service is what I would expect from a small family business: it is personal and I feel that I am important to them”.
Katie regularly speaks at a range of seminar and training events, including at seminars for providers such as LexisNexis, MBL, R3 and SWSCA. She has been described as a "very good", "excellent" and "well prepared" speaker in feedback from those providers' attendees.
- Liquidator of manufacturing company: Advising the office holder on a competing set of retention of title, possessory lien and other ownership and contractual disputes in relation to the company's sole remaining and very valuable partially completed machinery, resulting in a higher than expected realisation.
- Private individual: Acted for the spouse of an insolvent individual threatened with a multi million pound claim for what was alleged to be a series of transactions defrauding creditors, ultimately avoiding litigation.
- Confidential instructions: Acting for a housing association company limited by guarantee, advising in connection with the terms of a trust of property granted by an ecclesiastical body, and the implications of the insolvency of the housing association on the trust and the property.
- Professional practices: Regularly acting for office holders in connection with professional practices such as law firms, accountancy practices and dental practices in connection with insolvency issues and dispositions of businesses and assets.
- Trustee in Bankruptcy: Advising a Trustee in Bankruptcy on complex trust and security arrangements over a bankrupt's portfolio of buy to let property, including issues such as abatement notices, land tribunal hearings, disclaimer and an application to Court leading to a six figure realisation for the estate
Holly Ransley and Katie Farmer are a pleasure to speak to, as they know exactly what my needs are.
Legal 500 2021