Jim is a Partner, Barrister and Head of the Aviation Team.
He specialises in representing the victims of international air accidents.
Jim was a professionally qualified Royal Air Force pilot prior to becoming an aviation lawyer, so has over 27 years' experience in aviation and litigation. During his 12 years as a pilot, he was qualified on a number of military aircraft (single piston, single turbo prop, fast jet, twin turbo prop, heavy jet) and his last flying tour was on the Boeing E-3D AWACS. He received specialist training in aviation accident analysis and crew resource management, to become a Squadron Flight Safety Officer. He also was a flying display coordinator for the RAF Waddington International Air Show.
In 2002 he transferred to the RAF Legal Branch and qualified as a barrister. As trial counsel, he prosecuted Court Martial jury trials, with a focus on trials involving military aviation litigation.
Following his retirement from the RAF, Jim specialised in representing the victims of aviation disasters. He has represented hundreds of passengers/families in many aviation disasters worldwide involving many types of aircraft, from single engine light aircraft accidents to major airline disasters. He has significant experience in litigating cases in the US as well as litigating cases in multiple jurisdictions including England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Nigeria and Pakistan.
As a barrister, he is also a specialist advocate for families at aviation disaster inquests.
Due to Jim's professional pilot and aviation law expertise, he is regularly requested by the press to provide expert commentary on air accidents. He is also invited to chair and present at international aviation law conferences.
- Represented British families and injured victims in the Shoreham Airshow Hawker Hunter T7 crash in England on 22 August 2015.
- Represented the British families in the Germanwings A320-200 crash into the French Alps on 24 March 2015.
- Represented Scottish families and injured victims in the Police Eurocopter EC135T2 crash into the Clutha Pub, Glasgow on 29 November 2013.
- Represented British families in the Sita Air Dornier 228 crash in Nepal on 28 September 2012.
- Represented Nigerian families in the Dana Air Boeing/ McDonnell Douglas MD-83 crash in Nigeria on 3 June 2012.
- Represented families (English, American and Afghan) in the Pamir Airways Antonov AN-24 crash in Afghanistan on 17 May 2010.
- The Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- American Association for Justice
- European Air Law Association
- Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
A "total professional" who adds value to his legal skills with his background as a former military pilot'
Chambers & Partners 2015