Jeremy is a Senior Associate in the Business Risk and Regulation Team. Jeremy is an experienced criminal litigator, regulatory lawyer and advocate.
Jeremy advises clients on fraud (including trading standards), environmental, health and safety, motoring and other general criminal cases.
He advises local government departments, public utility companies and private clients, both companies and individuals. He both prosecutes and defends which gives him an advantage when advising clients bringing or facing prosecutions. He has a wide ranging and high profile practice.
He is recognised as a leader in the field of fraud, being ranked Tier 1 by Legal 500 2017. Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession also praises his "attention to detail" and comes highly recommended by clients.
Jeremy is a member of the Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers and of The Fraud Advisory Panel.
- Various clients: Successful prosecution of a number of "rogue traders", including where prison sentences have been imposed, for fraud and trading standards offences.
- Various clients: Regularly prosecuting a wide range of offences for a number of public utility companies and local authorities and have a wide range of contacts through various law enforcement agencies such as the Police and Trading Standards which we can utilise where necessary. An example of this work was the successful prosecution of the Somerset levels flooding case www.telegraph.co.uk/news/Somerset-Floods and www.bbc.co.uk/news/Somerset. This background has led to us bringing an increasing number of private prosecutions on behalf of individuals where we commence investigations, collate evidence and thereafter either prosecute or persuade the Police/CPS to take on cases.
- Various clients: Defending high profile fatality cases investigated by the police and Health & Safety Executive including advising on criminal liability and disaster management in the aftermath of a high profile multiple fatality road traffic collision on the M5, a company prosecuted following the death of a machine operator and a farm contractor following a fatality as a result of a rolling hay bale.
- Various clients: Defending high profile water pollution cases, including defending several companies prosecuted by the Environment Agency under the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2010 and the Water Industry Act 1991, including the successful defence of a farmer in a 3 day trial against the EA's "top" in house barrister over large scale commercial tipping on a farm and where Jeremy has defended a Water Utility Company on numerous occasions where water courses have been polluted, including one prosecution following a 20,000 litre oil spill into rivers, and several others where there has been significant fish kill.
- Various clients: Defending numerous cases of causing death by dangerous or careless driving including the successful defence of a company director charged with using a vehicle in a dangerous condition following a fatal road accident involving an employee.