Ieuan takes instructions regularly from London claims brokers, insurers, vessel owners, fishermen and P&I clubs. Ieuan has wide experience of a number of heavyweight claims including a number of London arbitrations under LMAA rules. The types of dispute Ieuan acts in include high value charterparty disputes and demurrage claims, sale and purchase disputes, ship arrests, advice to clients in the fishing industry including during criminal proceedings, piracy claims, collision, salvage and total loss claims, personal injury and employer's liability claims and pollution claims. Non-contentious work includes drafting and advising on ship-building, conversion and repair contracts, vessel construction, refit and charter contracts, terms and conditions for marinas and storage agreements, crew agreements and employment contracts and vessel (including fishing vessel, yacht and superyacht) financing and registration and tax advice.
As well as being a member of the Marine Team, Ieuan is also a part of the wider Dispute Resolution Team and has several specialities in this area. This has included acting for large utilities companies overseeing and advising in high value WIA arbitrations, business loss claims, NRSWA and property damage claims. Aside from this, Ieuan has experience in most courts from Small Claims right up to Court of Appeal level, including insurance claims, contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, sale and purchase disputes and general contractual matters. He also assists with personal injury work including clinical negligence. Ieuan carries out a range of work for a variety of commercial clients - both claiming and defending - and is very familiar with all necessary procedures and has the fastidious attitude required to bring complex claims to a conclusion.
- Unicorn Petroleum & Chemical Trade Ind. Inc of Panama: Assisting on behalf of owners in a multi-million dollar LMAA demurrage arbitration against charterers. The claim was multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary. Work involved meticulous examination of the evidence, instruction of counsel, experts, translators, calling of witnesses from multiple jurisdictions, detailed preparation of documents including submissions and witness statements, holding of conferences and all that was necessary to put forward the best possible case. Ieuan received high praise - including from the panel of arbitrators - for his preparatory skills, as well as his ability to manage several aspects of the claim simultaneously in a high pressure environment. The end result was a record award to the client by the Tribunal, which would not have been possible without such dedicated involvement.
- Thames Water Utilities Limited: Advising as the lead lawyer, defending in a high-value WIA arbitration. The claim against Thames was for business losses following an extended period of disruption while extensive works were undertaken in their office location. The complexities of the case meant working with multiple parties as well as closely with the client. Counsel was instructed as well as a forensic accountant expert in order to put forward the best defence for the client. A period of intense negotiations during the arbitration eventually resulted in the claim settling prior to final submissions and award on the part of the arbitrator. Ieuan received particular high praise for his hard work and devotion to the claim to achieve the best result and accordingly was instructed on Thames's business loss claims from that point forward.
- Metmar Denizcilik Sanayi Ve Ticarat Limited: Assisting in the arrest and sale of a cargo vessel in foreign jurisdiction on behalf of clients for unpaid dues. Metmar is a Turkish company that acted as agents for First Class European Charterers and oil companies. Pursuant to a London arbitration under LMAA rules, an award was obtained on behalf of them against the owners of the MV "Grand Island". An arbitration award was given together with costs that was wholly in the favour of Metmar. The Marine Team then began proceedings to enforce the award in the jurisdictions of Ghana, Togo and latterly Nigeria in order to obtain full recovery on behalf of the client. The proceedings were complex and included cross-jurisdiction issues and multiple parties and working tirelessly to ensure the best possible result.
- Channon & Co -v- Ward Associates: Advising in the defence of an insurance broker exposed to a claim for £1.8 million. This resulted in an entirely successful defence and a High Court Judgment in his favour, in which quantum was valued at zero (liability in default having already been decided prior to instruction). This was then appealed by the claimant to the Court of Appeal before Gloster LJ and Tomlinson LJ. The Court of Appeal again decided in favour of Ashfords' client, the Defendant/Respondent, with judgment accordingly. There then followed a further, complex dimension to the matter when, for the purpose of costs, several non-parties who had been providing instructions in the background were then added to proceedings. A Detailed Assessment involving numerous parties then followed and Ieuan was heavily involved in the preparation of this aspect of the case as well. This was challenging but thoroughly rewarding defence work involving a range of disciplines in order to conclude the matter with resounding success for the client.
- Exe Shipping Limited: Assisting in the purchase of two 4,000 tonne plus merchant vessels arising out of a Dutch auction, purchased from mortgagees, with loans in excess of £4 million. Ashfords were dealing with all necessary documentation to secure the purchase of the vessels and also ship finance against the security of both vessels. This included dealing with complex ship mortgage documentation and further requirements that included ensuring the vessels were deleted from the Dutch Registry and entered on the Barbados Registry. This further involved liaising with the parent company in Holland (Amasus B.V.) and finalising necessary loan agreements, deeds of covenants, deeds of assignment and loss payable provisions and ensuring both vessels were finally transferred into new beneficial ownership and finalising of registration.