Solicitor (Australian Qualified)
Gemma is a Solicitor (Australian Qualified) in the Construction & Infrastructure Team.
She is admitted in the High Court of Australia and Supreme Court of Queensland (with a right of audience in all Supreme Courts of Australia) and is currently undertaking the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test to become admitted in the United Kingdom.
Gemma has worked across commercial, residential, oil, gas and energy projects, ultimately increasing her knowledge and experience in jurisdictions such as Australia, the United States of America, Vanuatu, and New Zealand. Gemma assists primarily with contentious matters.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Gemma worked in Australia including two secondments as in-house solicitor for a large mining company and a leading property information, analytics and services provider in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, utilising both her law and finance degrees.
Gemma is a member of the Queensland Law Society, Solicitor of the High Court of Australia, and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Assisted the joint venture responsible for the Clem 7 tunnel (Leightons, Baulderstone, Bilfinger Berger) in relation to various BCIPA, construction, civil, commercial and litigation issues including indemnity issues, seeking declaratory relief, and re-drafting contractual documents.
- Defended a large mining and quarry corporation in proceedings commenced by the Queensland Government for a fatality and the failure to comply with the Australian Standards during construction of a fixed crushing plant.
- Acting in an arbitration against a large mining conglomerate in the Bowen Basin.
- Responsible for conducting Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings involving a Rio Tinto smelter in New Zealand and allegations regarding defective work and delay claims.
- Defended a professional negligence and defective work claim made by Parsons Brinckerhoff and Anglo Coal in relation to the construction of a dam in the Bowen Basin.
- Defended several security of payment legislation claims, including adjudication, relating to a large childcare centre in Queensland including preparing voluminous payment schedules and adjudication responses.
- Acted for several builders in relation to notices issued for failing to comply with a direction to rectify, defective work claims, and failure to have a construction contract in writing.