David is a Partner in the Trusts & Estates team.
David advises clients in relation to Inheritance Tax with a particular focus on Business and Agricultural Property Reliefs, Capital Gains Tax, including entrepreneur's relief, Wills Trusts and Succession Planning. He advises landed estate owners and their trustees, farmers, business owners and high net worth individuals.
Prior to moving to Devon, David spent 15 years, 11 of those as a partner, in Langleys Solicitors LLP, a Lincolnshire and Yorkshire based practice where he headed up Agriculture and Private Client.
He has been recognised for a number of years as a leading figure in Agriculture, Landed Estates, Private Client, Taxation and Trusts by both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession. He is also recognised in the Chambers High Net Worth, guide to the world’s leading private wealth advisors.
- 20,000 acre landed estate: Advising on an Agricultural Holdings Act Tenancy, preparing and serving a Case G Notice to Quit, following the death of the tenant and obtaining vacant possession of the farm, after the failure by the deceased tenant’s sons advisor to make an application to the First Tier Property Tribunal within the relevant time limit.
- High net worth owners of 11 Central London Apartments: Advising a married couple regarding inheritance tax and succession planning as part of which, all 11 properties were transferred into the sole name of the husband, who had serious health issues. This wiped out the seven figure capital gains enabling potentially exempt transfers to be made by the widow free if capital gains tax.
- 3,500 acre landed estate client: Inheritance Tax planning, which involved the gift and lease back of the principal estate house.
- Retired entrepreneur in the Health & Beauty sector: Advising regarding inheritance tax and succession planning, involving multiple trusts and gift of shares in the former factory site, now let to a subsidiary of Bosch.
- Widow & children of very successful farmer and residential property developer: Advising in relation to a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, using my knowledge of agriculture and agricultural property to pull together the team of advisors, ultimately resulting in a negotiated settlement of £7,500,000. I continue to act as a Trustee of the two trusts for the children.