Charles is a Partner and Head of the Marine Team. He specialises primarily in marine and transport related matters (including aviation).
Charles is particularly skilled and experienced in "wet" casualty work, he also has extensive experience in "dry" work in charterparty and related disputes.
Charles acts for and advises major financial institutions on financial issues, in particular, international banks, major insurers, insurance brokers, loss adjusters and average adjusters in respect of contractual and tortious claims. He also has very active litigation practice and has appeared with Counsel in the Court of Appeal on 4 occasions in the last 3 years and conducted LMAA arbitrations in London as well as representing clients at high profile marine Inquests. He has in depth knowledge of the fishing industry and regularly defends a wide range of clients being prosecuted by the MCA, MMO or IFCA's.
- Major international bank: Advising in the repossession and subsequent sale and purchase (through the Admiralty Court) of a fleet of vessels value at over €10 million. This included dealing with all issues on behalf of the bank and advising sellers on all issues involved.
- Third party: Advising third party interests arising out of the "Napoli" grounding on the south coast of Devon in 2007. Dealing with all issues through to the Admiralty Court hearing and protecting substantial interest accordingly.
- Private client: Acting for the pilot of "The Sea Emperors" involved in a 70,000 metric tonne spill in Milford Haven and ensuring that all issues were dealt with arising out of owners and/or charterers allegations.
- North Devon Fisherman Association: Acting for the major fishing industry organisation and concluding matters with RWE npower in respect of a £10 billion windfarm development.
- UK shipping company: Acting in the financing and purchase of three 5,000 tonne vessels to the value of €5.5 million.