Angela is a Legal Director in the Public Sector team specialising in public sector procurement, contracts and local government.
Angela has extensive knowledge of the local government sector, gained over 20 years of service within a local authority. Angela has a sound grasp of the diverse functions carried out by the sector, but with a particular emphasis on contract, procurement, governance and risk, local authority project structuring, joint venture companies and information law.
Angela joined Ashfords after a 20-year career in local government, during which time she headed up the legal services team and acted as Solicitor to the Council & Monitoring Officer. Angela is familiar with all aspects of local authority governance and decision-making, with reviewing and implementing constitutional and other governance arrangements (including the use of alternative delivery models), and advising on standards and ethics. Angela acted as senior legal adviser at full Council, Cabinet and committee level, and provided assistance to town and parish councils.
Angela understands the needs of the local government sector and is committed to providing support to local authority and other public sector colleagues.
Public procurement and contract matters
- Advising on procedural compliance for tender of crematorium re-design, equipment purchase and site maintenance
- Reviewing council procurement procedure rules, and advising on the use of internal waivers and exemptions
- Assisting with grant funding agreement and flow-down agreement in relation to Homes England Housing Infrastructure Grant, and associated State Aid implications
Local authority vires and governance
- Local authority companies and joint ventures - advising in relation to battery energy storage schemes, share purchase, loan agreements & charges, open market residential development, and grounds maintenance services
- Reviewing and updating council scheme of delegation and officer code of conduct, and assisting with a review of the Financial Procedure Rules