Partner and Head of Restructuring & Insolvency
Alan is a Partner and Head of Restructuring & Insolvency with a specialism in cross-border insolvency. Alan qualified in 2000.
Alan is a recognised leading figure in the insolvency field, his breadth of experience and practical approach makes him the first port of call for clients with cross border issues. He is a ranked lawyer UK wide for Personal Insolvency by Chambers and Partners.
Alan advises insolvency practitioners, directors, lenders and individuals on a range of insolvency issues including antecedent transactions, sale and purchase of insolvent businesses, advice on COMI including switching COMI, recognition of foreign insolvency proceedings, restructuring and advice to corporates facing financial difficulties.
- Private company: Acting for the buyer on the purchase from Administrators of an insolvent waste-to-energy site. Advising on security, retention of title, licensing and third party asset issues within the wider context of the transaction.
- Private individual: Acting for a bankrupt individual in successfully opposing an application made by the Official Receiver to annul his bankruptcy on the grounds that the order ought not to have been made some two years after the bankruptcy was discharged.
- Private individual: Acting for a Trustee in Bankruptcy in relation to antecedent transaction litigation overturning a purported transfer of the Bankrupt's interest to his wife and security to third parties resulting in a significant dividend to creditors.
- Private US company: Acting for a US company in a successful application to put it into administration in England and Wales by persuading the Court that its COMI was in the UK. Subsequently acting for the Joint Administrators in selling the business and assets as a going concern to a third party.
- Private company: Advising an overseas company on moving its COMI/obtaining a letter of request to enable it to be placed into Administration in England and its assets realised.
A shrewd operator when it comes to commercial negotiations and when appreciating what is being sought in a case and the best way to achieve it.