Gas Safety Week 19 - 25 September
The 19 - 25 September is the sixth Gas Safety Week to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances.
If appliances are not maintained properly they can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide ("CO") poisoning.
Ashfords LLP are among 6,077 businesses and organisations that have already signed up to take part in this year's Gas Safety Week which will include a parliamentary launch, activities held by supporters, videos from MPs and a range of communications to help raise awareness and generate interest on how important this is at all times.
To register for communications to share with your employees and the public go to
To check how safe your local area is go to www.staygassafe.co.uk.
To ensure you are safe all year round you should:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fix, fit and service your appliances (you can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk).
- Check both sides of your engineers Gas Safety Register ID card to ensure they are qualified for the work you need doing.
- Have all of your gas appliances regularly serviced and check each year to ensure they are safe.
- Be aware of the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapsing and loss of consciousness.
- Check your gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm which will alert you if there is any carbon monoxide in your building.
Examples of incidents that could occur if you do not ensure your business or residence is safe:
01/07/16: Torbay plumber and company who contracted him prosecuted after illegal and dangerous gaswork
An illegal gas fitter and the company that hired him have both been prosecuted after work was left in a dangerous condition at a home in Torquay.
13/06/16: Gas engineer sentenced for putting tenants at risk
A gas engineer has been sentenced to 120 hours of community service for putting tenants at risk in rented homes in Chelmsford.
If you want support in ensuring your business is safe there are consultancies and services such as Ashfords HSE that can work with you to prevent health and safety incidents such as gas related ones from occurring and ensure that you are compliant and doing everything you should be. If you have an incident occur in your workplace we are on hand to help.