Ashfords LLP have been working with Transport for London and numerous other businesses to look at the retiming of deliveries.
By retiming deliveries it can help to:
- reduce congestion
- improve air quality
- improve safety (cyclists and pedestrians etc.)
- provide businesses with the opportunity to reduce operating costs and streamline routing and scheduling
- reduce the number of vehicles on the road during the peak times which can create a better trading environment for a shops staff and customers. Products in store before opening mean staff are not stacking shelves after opening.
The retiming programme includes the following:
- trials with a few retailers
- a consortium and working groups leading the way and reviewing retimed deliveries (Including Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Ashfords etc.)
- matchmaking - TfL have a matchmaking programme, putting businesses and boroughs together to explore retiming opportunities
- tools and guidance including changing a planning condition, getting the timing right, noise assessments, quiet deliveries toolkit and quiet technology research
- quiet technology and noise – TfL are doing some research and creating guidance to look at the availability of quiet delivery equipment