British Food Fortnight started on 23 September and is running until the 8 October. It is the biggest national annual celebration of food and drink.
The initiative begun as a positive celebration of British Food and Farming following the foot and mouth crisis and brings together different projects and events taking place across Britain.
The aim is to raise public awareness of the fantastic array of British food through two weeks of promotions including:
- Tastings and special menus in pubs, restaurants and shops
- Special events in care homes for the elderly
- Scrumptious servings of British food in garden centre cafes
- Patriotic menus in hospitals
- Family feasts in children's centres
- Lots of fun food and drink festivals and country fairs
The key message is to encourage people to participate and understand where their food comes from. Why not try growing your own food or join in and attend an event to enjoy British grown food.
You can support British Food producers by;
- When shopping make a special effort to seek out British food
- Shop in local butchers, greengrocers, farm shops and markets
- Join in the campaign online through social media
- Seek out food in season such as the English plum
- Try a local beer
- Reduce waste
- Explore food from different regions of Britain
- Cook a British meal for friends and family
- Pick or better still grow your own fruit and vegetables
- Attend your local harvest festival
Celebrity chef Raymond Blanc, TV gardener Chris Collins and Liz Earle MBE are just a few of the champions of the initiative.
To find events running throughout the British Food Fortnight or for ideas on creating your own event visit the Love British Food website.
Ashfords Business Regulatory Consultancy
If you are a business within the food and drink sector and you require support in terms of regulatory compliance we have a wide range of experience in regulatory areas such as health and safety, environment, food, fire and trading standards.
To find out how our Business Regulatory Solutions (BRS) platform can help you click here.