Our Projects team has vast experience of advising on PPP and PFI Projects for a varied client base including procuring authorities, sponsors, investors and lenders. Our established track record of advising on a variety of project structures in a broad range of sectors means that our clients can be confident of receiving commercially grounded and legally robust advice which is appropriately tailored to the complexities of the relevant project. In addition, our policy of guaranteeing dedicated partner led resource to each project enables us to deliver real value to our clients.
Our Projects team is supported by specialists from our construction, corporate, planning, banking and employment & pensions departments, all of whom have experience of advising in relation to PPP and PFI projects. This ensures that we can pro-actively manage any issues which may arise during the course of a project and deliver a comprehensive and seamless service at all times.
- Gloucestershire Residual Waste PPP Project - advising both the Operator (Urbaser Environmental Limited) and the EPC Contractor (an unincorporated joint venture between Urbaser Limited, Balfour Beatty Construction Northern Limited and Balfour Beatty Engineering Services Limited) in relation to this project for the financing, construction and operation of an energy from waste facility which reached financial close in February 2013
- Essex Waste - advising the Urbaser Environmental Limited in its capacity as Operator in relation to this project for the financing, construction and operation of a mechanical biological waste treatment facility which reached financial close in May 2012
- North Yorkshire Waste PPP Project - advising North Yorkshire County Council in relation to the post-commercial close aspects of this project for the financing, construction and operation of a waste treatment facility incorporating mechanical treatment, anaerobic digestion and energy from waste technologies
- Greater Manchester Waste PFI - advising Viridor Waste Management in its capacity as O&M sub-contractor on the £3bn Greater Manchester Waste Disposal PFI which reached financial close in April 2009
- In addition, members of our Projects team also have experience of advising on PPP and PFI projects in relation to street lighting, roads (both domestic and international), rail infrastructure (both heavy rail and light rail) and airports
- North West Fire and Rescue Services PFI Project - advising Balfour Beatty Capital on this multi-authority, 16 site PFI project which reached financial close in February 2011
- Hengrove Park Leisure PFI Project - advising National Australia Bank (as Senior Lender) on this leisure centre PFI project which closed in April 2010
- Sandwell academy transfers - advising Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council on a number of academy conversions for educational establishments forming part of an existing PFI or BSF scheme
- Hospital PFI Projects - advising Vinci Facilities in respect of operational issues arising in respect of a number of facilities maintenance sub-contracts relating to acute health PFI projects
- In addition, members of our Projects team also have experience of advising on PPP and PFI projects in relation to social care, courts and custody centres and social housing
Our PPP/PFI team operates within the following Ashfords' Sector Groups:
- The Waste and Energy Sector Group, which is headed by Projects Partner Ruth Murray
- The Local Government Sector Group, which is headed by Projects PartnerElizabeth Gibson
The dedication, counsel and professionalism shown was second to none. Commercial acumen is seemingly a prerequisite of engagement by Ashfords and is in abundance throughout the team