Fraud and Business Crime
We represent clients charged with a range of offences under the Fraud Act and other associated legislation, including Money Laundering under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
Headed by fraud specialist Jeremy Asher, the team has gained an increasingly high profile and reputation in the area of fraud, and is regarded by clients and peers as a leading individual in his field, being ranked Tier 1 by Legal 500 2016.
Jeremy Asher is a leading expert in European Distribution Fraud and has assisted several victims in their quest to recover their property through the criminal justice system and works closely with the commercial litigation and dispute resolution teams. In this respect Jeremy is able to put his experience of prosecuting for local authorities to good effect, having built up extensive contacts in various law enforcement agencies over many years and having a thorough understanding of how to build a criminal case.
- Persuaded the CPS to offer no evidence against a doctor charged with defrauding the NHS.
- Successful defence of a company director accused of fraud against his business worth £250,000 .
- Successful defence of a company director charges with £6 million fraud, persuaded the prosecution to offer no evidence.
- Successful defence of an accountant accused of defrauding a client of £4.1 million.
- Defence of several cases brought under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 in the Crown Court (sums of £350,000; £150,000; £100,000; £45,000 etc.) including Restraint Orders and Confiscation Orders.
- Defence of companies under investigation from HMRC including successfully persuading HMRC to take no action against a business that had failed to obtain an Export Licence for sonar equipment that found its way onto a foreign nuclear submarine saving the company £60,000 in potential penalties.
Head of Ashfords LLP's crime department Jeremy Asher comes highly recommended by clients, who highlight his "attention to detail" and concern for the client. Handling advocacy himself, his criminal practice covers a broad range of crime and regulatory matters.Chambers & Partners 2013
+44 (0)1392 333824
The Rise of Property Fraud
Property fraud is unfortunately on the rise, with increasing numbers of properties being sold or mortgaged fraudulently. So concerned is...
What is a Notice of Intended...
In the vast majority of speeding or red traffic light contravention offences, the driver will see the stomach sinking flash...
What is Failing To Provide Driver...
When the Police become aware of an alleged road traffic offence, either by way of an enforcement camera activation or...