The Marine Team deals with dispute resolution in several areas and are committed to the provision of prompt commercial advice to its clients in a cost effective manner. The Team acts for and advises major financial institutions on financial issues, in particular:
- International banks,
- Major insurers,
- Insurance brokers,
- Loss adjusters,
- Average adjusters in respect of contractual and tortious claims.
Its very active litigation practice includes appearing in the Court of Appeal on 4 occasions in the last 3 years and conducting LMAA and LCIA arbitrations in London, as well as representing clients at high-profile marine inquests. The Marine Team has in-depth knowledge of the fishing industry and regularly defends a wide range of clients being prosecuted by the MCA, MMO or IFCAs.
The Marine Team is particularly skilled and experienced in "wet" casualty work, but also has extensive experience in "dry" work in charterparty and related disputes.
Charles Hattersley, Head of Marine, has been described by Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession
Seasoned shipping lawyer… noted for his strong personality", who is "tenacious and shrewd - a good man to have in your corner.
- Ship arrests and proceedings in the Admiralty Court.
- LMAA and LCIA arbitrations involving charterparty and other contractual disputes.
- Inquests arising from marine incidents.
- Acting for fishermen in criminal and civil proceedings.
- Salvage and pollution claims.
- Advising major international bank in the repossession and subsequent sale and purchase (through the Admiralty Court) of a fleet of vessels value at over €10million. Dealing with all issues on behalf of the bank and advising sellers on all issues involved.
- Advising third party interests arising out of the "Napoli" grounding on the south coast of Devon, dealing with all issues through to the Admiralty Court hearing and protecting substantial interest accordingly.
- Acting for the pilot of MV "Sea Empress", which was involved in a 70,000 metric tonne spill in Milford Haven, ensuring that all issues were dealt with arising out of owners and/or charterers allegations.
- Acting for the North Devon Fishermen's Association and conducting negotiation with RWE N Power in respect of a £10 billion windfarm development.
- Three demurrage arbitrations in the last three years, under LMAA rules resulting in awards of substantial damages to Turkish owner clients.
- Representing Owner clients in high profile Inquests such as the total losses of the MFVs "Bugaled Briezh" and "JMT".
- Acting for Singapore Owners in a multi-jurisdictional claim against a Chinese Shipyard under the terms of a warranty.
+44 (0)1752 526039