Our Licensing Team regularly advises local authorities and private sector companies/individuals on all areas of licensing law. The Licensing Team deal with the full spectrum of cases from the straight forward, low value to complex multi-million pound cases (and everything in between).
We have worked on significantprojects including casinos, high status retail outlets and a prestigious hotel and spa development. We have also dealt with the complicated transfer of a premises licence arising out of the purchase of a £1.5 million nightclub out of insolvency, and have experience of applications to the Gambling Commission in respect of on-line gambling websites. We have even salvaged a rock concert that was objected to by the Police and successfully assisted a local authority on appeal against the decision of its licensing sub-committee to withdraw the premises licence of a night club where drugs and violent offences had been taking place.
Our team members have appeared as advocate on behalf of clients at innumerable hearings before Licensing Committees.
- Premises licences
- Personal licences
- Temporary event notices
- Taxi licences
- Gambling & lottery licences
- Advised a prestigious retailer in relation to the application of premises licences throughout its business
- Advised on the successful application for a new premises licence for a prestigious hotel and spa. The work arose out of a redevelopment of the site and involved working closely with the client and architect in order to ensure compliance with the Local Authority licensing objectives and to avoid disruption to neighbours residing nearby.
- Advised on the complicated and high value purchase of a high profile night club in the West End of London where the premises licence had been illegally transferred from the vendor (a company in liquidation) to one of its directors.
- Have advised on the application to the Gambling Commission for a remote on-line gambling licence
- Successfully represented a Local Authority on the appeal of a decision to revoke the premises licence of a night club where criminal activity, including drugs and violence offences, were prevalent.
- Represented numerous clients before licensing sub-committees where objections have been raised to the grant of premises licences.
Head of Ashfords LLP's crime department Jeremy Asher comes highly recommended by clients, who highlight his "attention to detail" and concern for the client.
Chambers & Partners 2013
+44 (0)1392 333824