Claims involving children

Children can make claims at any time up to their 21st birthday for accidents that occurred before they were 18. A claim that is brought before their 18th birthday must be brought on behalf of the child by an adult (known as the child's "Litigation Friend"). The Litigation Friend is usually a parent or grandparent of the child involved.

Thanks to improvement in the effectiveness of car seats often the physical injuries from a car accident are relatively minor. What are often overlooked are the psychological effects that an accident can have on children. These include :-

  • Intrusive thoughts or re-enactment of the accident in play/conversation
  • Sleep disturbance/bed wetting
  • Mood changes
  • General or travel anxiety
  • Behavioural difficulties at home or at school
  • 'Clingy' behaviour

Compensation is divided into:

General Damages – a lump sum of compensation for the injury to compensate your child's pain and suffering.

Special Damages – these are your out of pocket expenses, e.g. parents'/a family members travel and medical expenses incurred on behalf of the child, cost of care (e.g. parent/grandparent providing additional care 'over and above' that normally undertaken) as a result of attending medical appointments and routine journeys not normally taken by car (increasing the normal cost of travel).

Ashfords' Personal Injury Team has extensive experience in all areas of personal injury claims work.  If you would like to discuss a personal injury claim on behalf of your child, and the funding options available to you, please contact Gemma Rowe on 01392 334017 for a free, no obligation chat.

Key Contact

Gemma Rowe

Chartered Legal Executive

[javascript protected email address]
+44 (0)1392 334017

Get in touch

Please complete the form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your enquiry. One of our team members will be in contact with you shortly.