Art and Cultural Heritage
In today’s fast-moving but unregulated art market, the (multi-disciplinary) art law group at Ashfords helps buyers, sellers and artists acquire, safeguard and dispose of art, antiques and precious assets, securely and with confidence. We use our combined industry experience and legal knowledge to protect our clients collections and luxury assets and guide them through the entire life cycle of art. We can unlock and preserve your art's value to secure financing, facilitate a sale or purchase, resolve disputes relating to matters of ownership and valuation, protect your investments through insurance, minimize estate tax liability and structure donations for maximum tax benefit.
Our clients are private, corporate and institutional and include organizations that create and promote the art trade, collectors, dealers and art foundations, agents, introducers and art advisers. We simplify the complex national and international law and treaties that apply to transactions in art and high value assets across the law of personal property law, contract, estates and tax planning, export licences and intellectual property licensing.
- On-going advice on all aspects of the creation and launch of new online digital art agency including artists commission agreements and advice on cross border copyright infringement issues.
- Drafting contract for well-known sculptor on the loan of a piece for public exhibit as part of a bigger 'tour' agreement.
- Advising on incorporation of third party work into artwork commissioned by client for foreign re-sale.
- Negotiating private commission agreement with artist for artwork to go on public display in British castle.
- Drafted agreements for FTSE 100 company to loan valuable painting to public institution.
- On-going advice to gallery dealing on behalf of estate of well-known artist.
- Advising a European private bank on legal and due diligence issues associated with use of well known, contemporary painting to be used as security for a loan.
Chairman and Head of Intellectual Property
+44 (0)1392 333951