We adopt a commercial and pragmatic approach to our work in the charity sector and we understand the unique position in which not-for-profit organisations operate. We are also aware that charities need to ensure that their operations are as streamlined as possible and that their legacies generate the optimum amount of cash for the front-line services for which they were intended.
We know that most charities rely on legacies for a very significant proportion of their income. As a result it is important that they are able to protect their bequests and optimise the income which the deceased intended them to have. That said, one of the key considerations for charities, when deciding on whether to defend a challenge to a will, is the possible effect that litigation may have on the reputation of the charity. Recent events have shown that making headlines for the wrong reasons is never helpful and can be catastrophic for charities both large and small. In order to help our clients to protect themselves as much as possible, Ashfords has partnered with experts in the field of reputation management who will advise from the outset, on the best course of action.
How we can help
We are able to advise on a broad range of contentious matters including:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Families and Dependents) act 1975 for financial provision from an estate.
- Challenges to the validity of wills (including claims on the basis of lack of testamentary capacity, undue influence and fraud).
- Applications concerning the interpretation and construction of wills Disputes arising as a consequence of missing or lost wills.
- Proprietory estoppel claims.
- Professional negligence claims (arising out of advice regarding trusts wills and estates).
- Executor/trustee disputes.
- Breach of trust claims.
- Debt recovery and enforcement actions against a deceased’s estate.
- Cy-près applications.
- Statutory wills.
We also have extensive experience in dealing with matters arising out of the administration of estates and trusts including:
- Applications to the Probate Registry in accordance with the Non-Contentious Probate Rules.
- Abated legacies Requests for estate information such as estate accounts.
- Professional administration costs.
- Sale of assets.
Contact our Disputed Wills and Trusts Team on freephone 0800 0931336, or by email email@example.com for a free, no obligation chat to see how we can help you.
4 hours ago
11 hours ago
11 hours ago