To enter a team for this event please Click to complete the form.
Following our eleventh year of running the Early Bird Golf Tournament, we are pleased to be hosting this years event.
By way of reminder to those who have played before and as an introduction to those who have not, the “Early Bird” Tournament is to be played over the summer months at the Exminster Golf Centre.
The tournament will start at 6.30pm on the evening of Thursday 2 May 2019 with golf pros on hand to offer instructional tips at a golf driving range session followed by dinner and fixtures draw.
Fixtures will then commence at 7.00am every second Friday (with a full cooked breakfast included):
- Friday 10 May 2019
- Friday 24 May 2019
- Friday 7 June 2019
- Friday 21 June 2019
- Finals at around 2.30pm on Thursday 4 July 2019, including a two course dinner and prize giving afterwards.
In line with previous years, we propose teeing off each morning’s game with a “shot gun” start so that all players can finish at more or less the same time and enjoy breakfast together. This will also hopefully avoid the situation of later tee off times encroaching on the working day.
We have kept the entry fee at the same price as last year's event and absorbed the increased costs of running the event. The tournament will cost £80 per player (i.e. £160 per team). Exminster Golf Centre have generously offered us a discount on the usual fees and Ashfords will meet all other costs, so that there is nothing else to pay.
Each team will consist of two players from each business that has entered. There will be no objection to a colleague from that same business being substituted if commitments clash within any of the fixtures, but hopefully you will all be able to keep your diaries clear.
There will be a range of prizes. Apart from the overall competition winners there will also be prizes for the highest aggregate score over the competition and for the winners of the finals day competition for those not participating in the semi-finals and final. There will also be other prizes.
Numbers are strictly limited by the format of the competition and so if you are interested, please complete the form below and fee as soon as possible to ensure a place.
We hope you will be able to join us.
Please see below the form to enter a team.
Here are the rules of the golf tournament:
- There are 16 teams made up of two players;
- The teams are drawn into four groups;
- Each team plays each member of the group once;
- Scores are calculated using Stableford rules based on a 3/4 handicap;
- Scores of each team member are added together and the team with the highest total wins;
- The teams are awarded 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss;
- The team with the most points in the group progresses to the semi-finals to play off for the early bird trophy on finals day;
- The remaining teams of the group play off for the early bird plate competition on finals day; and
- On finals day if the teams' points are level a countback system is used based on the final 3 holes of the course.
In previous years we have altered the format slightly to accommodate the total number of teams in the tournament. We will confirm this at the launch event.