Our Public Sector Team is nationally recognised for delivering innovative legal and commercial solutions for local, regional and central government bodies.
Many of the team, of more than 90 lawyers, have held senior positions within the public sector.
Our expertise includes:
- Grant funding and State aid
- IT, technology and information law
- Liability claims
- Planning, development and construction
- Procurement, outsourcing and shared services projects
- Regulatory enforcement and compliance, including health and safety
- Regeneration and publicly funded real estate
- Social housing and estate management
- TUPE, employment and pensions
We assemble multi-disciplinary teams to meet our clients' needs.
We are appointed to significant national and regional legal panels including:
- Crown Commercial Service (RM919 Legal Framework)
- London Boroughs Legal Alliance
- Places for People
Click Here for details of the other frameworks to which Ashfords is appointed. These frameworks provide our Public Sector clients with added benefits including discounted rates, training and free helplines.
Ashfords has conducted a survey on outsourcing pubic services across local government. To read our summary and report please click here.
Click here to view or public sector webinars which cover a variety of topics.
Ashfords is delighted to once again be supporting the annual Lawyers in Local Government ("LLG") Awards. The firm will be sponsoring the award for 'Legal Team of the Year', which recognises the legal team that can demonstrate creativity, innovation, knowledge and client sensitivity/responsiveness and contribution to corporate, diversity and community objectives. To read more about this award click here.
Ashfords has placed our objectives at the centre of their service. Our relationship was symbiotic, Ashfords was fundamental to getting the project completed within budget and on time, we were delighted with their service.
Emma Osmundsen Exeter City Council - Client Lead (Build)
- Construction and Engineering
- Employment and Pensions
- EU and Competition
- Health and Safety
- Information Law
- Marine licensing and planning
- Personal Injury
- PPP/PFI Projects
- Public Funded Real Estate
- Public Law
- Public Procurement
- Public Sector Outsourcing
- Social Housing
- State Aid
- Acting for central government clients including Post Office, Department for Transport, Met Office and Environment Agency under the Crown Commercial Services Legal Framework. Advice has included commercial contracts, IT, procurement and State aid, commercial litigation, property disputes, Company law and Employment.
- Acting for North Yorkshire County Council in respect of the North Yorkshire Waste PPP project, the largest legacy waste PFI project. North Yorkshire procured a private sector partner to design, build, finance and operate a waste treatment facility involving Energy from Waste, Mechanical Treatment, Anaerobic Digestion and Incinerator Bottom Ash. Total third party funding required for the Project was approximately £350 million.
- Advising the Council of the Isles of Scilly relating to Smart Islands: the procurement of a joint venture partner for the delivery of smart grid ICT platform and infrastructure, including a focus on sustainable social innovation and energy security for the Isles of Scilly's vision of a fully sustainable island community.
- Advising Mendip District Council on a strategically important leisure portfolio disposal. The team advised on competitive disposal of five leisure centres, including procurement, employment and pension issues by way of long leases and a concession contract.
- Advising Sandwell Metropolitan District Council on a complex and complicated area of law involving an examination of the overlap between property and education legislation relating to land transactions of a foundation school.
- Advising NYnet (a subsidiary of North Yorkshire County Council) on its circa £26m high speed broadband infrastructure project, one of four national BDUK pathfinder projects.
- Advising Herefordshire Council and Gloucestershire County Council in relation to the combined local authority project for high speed broadband infrastructure for rural locations, one of four national BDUK pathfinder projects.
- Advising the Department for Communities and Local Government on the re-procurement of the Custodial Tenancy Deposit Scheme - the government approved scheme for the protection of tenant's deposits. The team drafted and advised on the site of contractual documentation for the re-procurement of the existing scheme (holding some £900 million of deposits) and the procurement of new custodial schemes to be developed by providers.
- Advising Exeter City Council on its new leisure facility, entitled Exeter Splash. Advising on procurement strategy, drafting the OJEU notice, drafting all contractual and procurement documentation, assisting with responses to clarifications, evaluation and advising in respect of contract award.
- Advising Cornwall Council on its Care and Support at Home and in the Community project. The Project involved the procurement of a framework agreement for the provision of domiciliary care and support services in Cornwall, the value of which is up to £200 million.
- Advising London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham in relation to the compulsory purchase of an area of land at Shepherds Bush to provide for a development of 215 dwellings and the regeneration of the historic street style market on land owned by London Underground.
Devon and Somerset Law Society Awards - Team of the Year.
Click here for more information.
Partner and Head of Public Sector
+44 (0)1392 333802