Our Waste Management Team help clients realise the substantial commercial opportunities that the management of waste as a resource offers.
Drawing on our legal expertise in areas such as projects, construction, property and health and safety, our specialist waste and resource management team has helped a number of public sector organisations and private sector waste companies across areas, including waste and resource management infrastructure, buying and selling waste sites, management, treatment and disposal of waste and storage and transportation of waste. We regularly advise on licencing and permitting matters and defend criminal prosecutions relating to waste.
We cover all waste streams, from municipal and commercial through to agricultural, sewage and hazardous. We understand the challenges and complexities that arise from differing waste streams and different treatment technologies and give tailored, practical advice. Our clients range from new entrants to the waste industry to established waste companies and local authorities.
Our team is also experienced in advising on PPP and PFI initiatives and we have worked with procuring authorities, sponsors, investors and lenders on some of the most significant infrastructure projects in the UK.
- Energy and Waste Projects
- Health and safety
- Licensing and Permitting
- Environmental issues
- A multi-disciplinary team of renewable energy experts, led by Ashfords' Projects and Infrastructure Team, acted for Ince Bio Power Limited in its development of a new 21.5MW renewable energy plant in Cheshire. The plant is the latest venture for CoGen Limited and is backed by the newly formed energy investment platform Bioenergy Infrastructure Group. The plant, when operational in 2018, will generate 21.5MW of renewable energy providing power to over 40,000 homes. The plant will divert over 100,000 tonnes of waste wood from landfill each year as well as creating jobs and over £100m of investment in the local and national economy.
- The Ashfords' team were principal legal advisors to the project sponsors and the special purpose vehicle, advising on all aspects of the transaction including, engineering, procurement and construction, operations and finance. The team will continue to support the project through the construction phase and into operations ahead of a 2017 commissioning date.
- Advising North Yorkshire County Council on its £350 million energy from waste project. The project will treat up to 320,000 tonnes of waste per annum and will divert at least 90% of residual waste from landfill.
- Acting for Urbaser as Operator on the £800 million Essex Waste PFI mechanical and biological treatment (MBT) plant to be located in Basildon, Essex. The new facility has the capability to treat up to 417,000 tonnes of waste per annum.
- Working with Viridor Waste Management Limited and assisting Pennon Group’s in-house legal team on the £3bn+ Greater Manchester Waste PFI project, involving 30 complex facilities.
- Advising Biffa Waste Services Limited on a development agreement to buy a redundant power station at Skelton Grange, Leeds and turn it into an energy from waste plant, providing 25.9MW of power to heat 51,600 homes.