Energy & Waste
Our Energy & Waste Team have specialised in energy and waste management for over 10 years and we're passionate about the sector and its importance in the growth of our economy.
Our commitment to the sector and devoting time to it translates into real, up-to-date knowledge about the challenges you face, including government policy on tariffs, shifting regulation and public perception, so you get advisers that understand the environment in which your business is operating.
We help businesses with all aspects of their energy and waste matters. Our sector team includes specialists from across the firm, including construction, real estate, projects, corporate, employment, planning, environmental and health and safety.
We have an excellent track record and work with a diverse range of private and public sector clients, including Viridor Waste Management, North Yorkshire County Council, Biffa Waste Services, the Environment Agency, BioPower Systems, Installations, Greener for Life Energy, LCX Solar, Birmingham Bio Power, Carbonarius, O-Gen Plymtrek and Eco Nrg.
- A multi-disciplinary team of renewable energy experts, led by Ashfords' Projects and Infrastructure Team, acted for Ince Bio Power Limited in its development of a new 21.5MW renewable energy plant in Cheshire. The plant is the latest venture for CoGen Limited and is backed by the newly formed energy investment platform Bioenergy Infrastructure Group. The plant, when operational in 2018, will generate 21.5MW of renewable energy providing power to over 40,000 homes. The plant will divert over 100,000 tonnes of waste wood from landfill each year as well as creating jobs and over £100m of investment in the local and national economy.
- The Ashfords' team were principal legal advisors to the project sponsors and the special purpose vehicle, advising on all aspects of the transaction including, engineering, procurement and construction, operations and finance. The team will continue to support the project through the construction phase and into operations ahead of a 2017 commissioning date.
- Mi-Space: review of tender documents for Mi-space (Midas Energy) including framework agreements and call-off contract for a pitch to Bristol City Council.
- Eco NRG: reviewing their contractual arrangements and advising on their contracts with the developers of a solar installation.
- Birmingham Bio Power, Carbonarius and Balfour Beatty: Advising on investments in respect of the Tyseley Biomass Plant.
- Advice in respect of farm scale wind turbine projects to a developer interested in leasing sites on multiple farms in England and Wales.
- North Yorkshire County Council: Acting in respect of its energy from waste project. It originally reached commercial close in August 2011 as a PFI project. Ashfords replaced the existing solicitors in 2013 and has advised the authority subsequently on its change to a PPP project and on the changes necessary to the project in order to obtain third party finance. This is due to reach financial close by the end of 2014.
- Combined Heat and Power: Advising the main contractor on a wood to energy CHP plant.
Partner and Head of Projects
+44 (0)1392 333857