Our Retail Team is absorbed in the sector and have specific knowledge key to retailers. From employee issues to lease renewals, IP protection to supply agreements, we have well-informed and industry-aware solicitors to support retailers and their management teams.
Our legal advisers benefit from specific sector knowledge to help reduce risks, nurture growth and support them in developing strategies for success. We have retail clients that represent over 2000 outlets and £300m+ turnover. Our retail experience is enhanced by lawyers whose day-to-day work supports nationally known retailers such as Majestic Wines, Subway, TKMaxx and MacDonalds’ franchisees.
- Commercial contracts, including brand licenses
- Employment law
- Franchise agreements
- Health and safety
- IT and outsourcing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- On-line and data protection
- Product recall
- Real Estate management
- Supply chain contracts
- Trademark protection and enforcement
- Ashfords has successfully acted on behalf of management teams and founders of three well-known high street retailers and fashion houses. The team acted for Linda Bennett on her sale of LK Bennett, the team advised the founders of Fat Face on their sale of Fat Face, and advised the founding partners of Gro Group on the Management buy-out and exit from the company. We have also acted for Kilver Court designer outlet in the grant of leases to L K Bennett, Jack Wills, Hawick Cashmere, Mulberry and other designer retailers.
- Acting as in-house counsel for Majestic Wine in its on-going major store expansion programme. Majestic currently operates from 206 stores and sees the potential to increase its store footprint to 330 stores nationwide. Our Real Estate Team advise Majestic on its expansion plans by securing units of around 3,500 square feet with good car parking in prominent locations generally on main roads outside town centres.
- Our Employment Law Team has been acting for the franchisees of McDonald’s restaurants for a number of years in the defence of Employment Tribunal claims ranging from pre-proceeding settlement of claims to representation in the Tribunal. In addition to contentious advice, our team of experts help protect their business against costs of employment disputes, prosecutions brought against the business or its employees and representation on compliance and regulatory matters.
- The team has acted for Subway for over 10 years, achieving many firsts during that time, being the first solicitor to agree leases in a UK airport, a Tesco store an Asda store, a McColl’s and a petrol station forecourt as well as acting on the flagship Subway store on Oxford street. The team has completed leases on over 400 Subway stores.
Is your business ready for the Consumer Rights Act 2015?
Current consumer law is made up of a lot of different pieces of legislation and places an administrative and compliance burden on businesses. It is also considered to be out of date. The aim of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ("CRA 2015") is to consolidate current consumer legislation and to provide enhanced consumer protection and consumer remedies.Read more