Vanessa is a Solicitor and Partner in the Employment Team.
She is an employment lawyer and solicitor with over 15 years' experience supporting employers and high net worth individuals through the complex areas of workplace disputes and business protection. She has a reputation for strong, clear, pragmatic advice and high success rates.
Vanessa advises her clients across all elements of the employment relationship with specific areas of expertise being sex and disability discrimination, equal pay, wages issues (National Minimum Wage, Holiday Pay, bonus disputes), Working Time, TUPE, Whistleblowing, Director/shareholder disputes, business protection (post-termination restrictions, protection of confidential information and clients), Union issues and managing high level team or senior executive transitions (either exits or arrivals). Although Vanessa advises across the full spectrum of businesses and organisations she has expert sector knowledge in Housing, Homelessness, Healthcare and Contract/travel Caterers.
Vanessa is recognised in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners as a solicitor who provides "a very responsive, efficient and personal service," and as "a very pragmatic lawyer with a good commercial awareness."
- Supported the Chair of the Board of Trustees of a well-known organisation to address complex and serious allegations involving the executive team in a challenging post-merger environment. Advice covered whistleblowing, employee relations and wider issues of governance and trustee removal. As a consequence of Vanessa's support the Chair was able to fully address all and any issues of Whistleblowing appropriately and maintain strong governance boundaries to ensure that the senior executive were not needlessly undermined and disbanded during a very difficult transitional period for the organisation.
- Successfully defended an AIM listed employer against High Court injunctive relief and damages proceedings by the former employer of a newly appointed Director.
- Acting for the Operations Director of an international recruitment consultancy covering matters of sex discrimination and Equal Pay from the initial tactical advice on addressing the issues internally though resignation and the eventual negotiation and agreement of a substantial settlement package.
- Successfully defended a national care provider against a County Court claim of negligent misstatement in a reference including the full recovery of legal costs from the Claimant.
- Advised and supported a Travel Catering company in relation to union pressure (through threats to strike, a strike ballot and 'peaceful protest') to re-instate an employee dismissed for theft. Vanessa's support meant that strike action and peaceful protest were avoided and a more cohesive relationship with the Union was established in the process.