Su is an Associate in the Employment and HR Team.
Su advises on all aspects of employment law on both contentious and non-contentious matters for employers across the public and private sectors. Her particular specialism is multi party and complex discrimination claims for local authorities and educational establishments, and she has built a reputation on her strong negotiating skills, clear analysis and robust approach, which have achieved excellent results for her clients. Su has also gained recent experience as an independent investigator into complex allegations of bullying and harassment.
- Represented a large local authority in a complex claim by a litigant in person with dyslexia claiming disability, sex, age, race, religion and belief discrimination and whistleblowing, whilst continuing his employment, and later unfair dismissal, with a total of 195 separate allegations spanning a period of 12 years. This involved complex issues regarding the ownership and disclosure requirements of reports by solely instructed medical experts. The Claimant was still employed by the Council for over a year whilst the dispute was ongoing and we provided advice on extricating the Council from the situation, bringing the claim to an end to include the termination of the Claimant's employment. A very favourable settlement was eventually achieved.
- Advising a local authority and school on an investigation into serious allegations against the school's head teacher, which led to his resignation. This case has been very high profile and extensive advice has been given regarding handling media enquiries, threatened claims by the ex-head teacher, and in relation to the resulting referral to NCTL. Su also acted for the Council in respect of a specific disclosure application made by the head teacher as part of the NCTL proceedings.
- Appointed as independent investigator by a large local authority to investigate an organisational complaint of bullying and harassment made against an employee by another organisation in a complex situation involving the collaborative working of three public sector organisations. The complaints raised spanned 12 years, involved over two thousand documents and the analysis of extensive data. The results of her investigation have led to a milestone which has finally allowed progress in rebuilding relationships between the organisation.
- Securing a favourable settlement for the Council on six consolidated claims brought by a former employee, including claims for unfair dismissal, disability discrimination, trade union detriment, and whistle blowing, all based on allegations of bullying and harassment, thereby avoiding the costs and management time of a 20 day hearing.
- Securing the complete withdrawal of consolidated claims of sexual orientation discrimination, constructive unfair dismissal and whistle blowing, all based on allegations of bullying and harassment, thereby avoiding a 10 day hearing by use of appropriate costs warnings.
- Advising on all employment aspects on the transfer of engagements of Home Owners Friendly Society Limited to Family Assurance Friendly Society Limited, including extensive advice on TUPE and redundancy consultations. The combined assets under management of the merged entity totalled £6 billion.