Stuart is a Partner in the Corporate Team.
He specialises in business acquisitions and disposals and has advised corporate and individual clients at a regional, national and international level. He advises on joint ventures, shareholders' agreements, corporate reorganisations and partnership arrangements.
Stuart provides UK and EU competition and merger control advice on large scale and international corporate transactions.
Stuart spent 4 years as Deputy Head of Legal at the UK Met Office establishing and advising on international joint ventures and a wide range of commercial trading arrangements.
- Lead legal adviser to selling shareholders on the sale of Research Instruments Limited (cutting-edge technology, consumables and hardware in the field of in-vitro fertilisation ("IVF")) to CooperSurgical (the women's health care division of The Cooper Companies, Inc, a NYSE listed global medical device company) for a total cash consideration of over $50m.
- Lead legal adviser on the transfer of the entire business and assets of the Met Office (circa £200M) from the Ministry of Defence to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
- Lead adviser to selling shareholders on the sale of Framptons Transport Services Limited to Gregory Distribution Limited (multi £M).
- Lead adviser to selling shareholders on the sale of the Smirthwaite Group to Prism Medical Healthcare Limited (multi £M).
- Lead adviser to selling shareholders on a £14M Management Buy-Out of a UK based manufacturing and retail cosmetics operation.
- UK and EU merger control advice on a purchase by a global food industry leader of a 300 employee banana products business, Confoco SA, with assets in Ecuador & USA.
- Stuart advises public sector organisations on complex and/or potentially high profile requests for information under the Freedom of Information legislation and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Stuart was Ashfords' partner lead for its Charity of the Year 2014 raising over £63,000 for Children's Hospice South West.