Stephen is a Partner and Head of Adjudication and Arbitration Services.
He specialises in construction procurement and contentious construction and engineering matters including projects support and drafting and negotiating construction contracts, court proceedings, adjudications and professional negligence claims.
Stephen has over 20 years' experience. He has recently acted for a number of major UK Contractors as well as developers, banks, local authorities, utility companies and consultants providing contentious and non-contentious construction law advice in a number of sectors including the energy sector.
Stephen is a construction adjudicator on a number of industry panels, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a practising mediator. He is also a member of the Association of Partnering Advisers.
Stephen is cited in Chambers & Partners Legal Directory. Clients praise his "very comprehensive and thorough advice with no stone left unturned." Stephen is also recognised as a legal expert in Construction law by the Legal Experts Directory.
"Praised for his understanding of commercial pressures" as quoted by The legal 500 2016 Edition.
A "really knowledgeable, experienced construction lawyer". One market source notes: "He has always provided excellent outcomes to legal problems."- Chambers Legal Directory 2017 edition.
- Acting for a utility company on a multi-million pound three party dispute arising from horizontal directional drilling leading to claims for loss and expense due to ground conditions. This involved obtaining suitable geological and horizontal directional drilling expert evidence, advising the client at board level and attending a three party mediation leading to a satisfactory settlement.
- Acting for a main contractor on an energy project: woodchip Combined Heat & Power, advising on contract documents and supply of plant from abroad.
- Acting for a marine cable installation contractor and advising in relation to disputed variations under a FIDIC Yellow Book contract for termination and testing of 18 kilometres of core submarine cables in relation to an offshore wind farm.
- Acting for a European contractor on issues arising under a consortium agreement relating to the construction of a power station in Bulgaria, Bulgaria's largest inward investment project to date.
- Advising a contractor on the mechanical and electrical works contract for the 2012 London Olympics Athletes Village.
- Acting for an EPC Contractor drafting and negotiating an EPC Contract and associated documents relating to the design, construction and commissioning of a 90MWp solar farm.