Robert is Partner and Head of the Disputed Wills and Trusts Team and specialises in trust and probate disputes. He is the Location Head of the Tiverton office.
Robert advises private individuals, charities and trustees in relation to all aspects of contentious trust and estate administrations, including will disputes and Inheritance Act claims, legacy disputes, and claims for the removal of executors and trustees. He also advises on contentious Court of Protection matters. In addition, Robert also has a wealth of property litigation experience which enables him to provide a complete service to his clients.
Robert advises clients in relation to: challenges to the validity of a will or trust instrument; will construction and rectification claims; claims against personal representatives and trustees regarding their performance, including applications for their removal and replacement; claims for financial provision under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975; proprietary estoppel claims, including agricultural landlord and tenant and farming partnership disputes; trust of property disputes under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996; claims in relation to lifetime transactions on the basis that they are void for lack of capacity, undue influence or fraud; and professional negligence claims relating to trusts and estates.
Robert is a member of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) and was awarded a Distinction for a Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Advanced Certificate in Trusts Disputes.
He is recognised as a notable figure in the contentious trust and property litigation fields by both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession.
- Various clients: Dealing with a range of will disputes and testamentary claims including mutual wills, will validity claims on the grounds of capacity, due execution and undue influence, and claim regarding donatio mortis causae (deathbed gifts).
- Various clients: Representing trustees, executors and beneficiaries on applications for the removal of non performing trustees and executors and claims for breach of trust.
- Various clients: Advising on claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Private client: Advising on a court of protection application regarding the appointment and conduct of a deputies and attorney.
- Private client: Acting on a proprietary estoppel and farming partnership dispute relating to agricultural land, which also involved issues relating to Agricultural Holdings Act and Agricultural Tenancies Act claims.